Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tacos al Pastor: re-revisited!

Options
All over the map
All over the map Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I made the pork last weekend. I marinated 3/4 inch pork butt slices. Each looked like an 8 oz strip loin. The recipe was from a new book called "Mod Mex" which I bought because it was the first book I came across with the recipe for Tacos al Pastor. Anyway, I left the "steaks" in the marinade for over two days. Then I smoked the meat over direct heat at 250 for about 3 hours. They never reached the temperatures of pulled pork (I brought them in somewhere around 170). To finish, I diced the steaks (they still had quite a bit of fat in them) and fried them in their own rendered fat in the frying pan with diced onion and pineapple chunks. I made homemade corn tortillas and salsa and guacamole. It was a completely authentic feast. The next time I'll cook at 300 and see if I can get the pork to a higher temperature a little more rapidly. The cooked meat freezes well, and now I have my own little stash of "al Pastor" ready for my next craving!

Recipe for the marinade is as follows:

3 ancho chiles
3 guajillo chiles
4 cloves of garlic
4 bay leaves
1 onion
2 tbsp of achiote paste
2 tbsp of kosher salt
1 tsp of ground cumin
1 tsp of mexican oregano
1 tsp of ground black pepper
1 tsp of fresh thyme leaves
1/2 tsp of allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 cups water
1/2 cup apple cider or red or white wine vinegar

Blend it all up into a very liquid paste. I think it would make enough for about 6 pounds of pork butt. The large will only handle 3 pounds of meat sliced as I described above.

Sorry there are no pictures! Next time, I promise!

aotm

P.S. Awesome cookbook! I love Mexican food and this is the best one I've got.

http://www.amazon.com/Mod-Mex-Cooking-Vibrant-Flavors/dp/0740768654/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203295971&sr=8-1