Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Hinge Drop

Options
Boccie
Boccie Posts: 186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow, the spring loaded hinge really makes a difference on the weight of the lid. Easy up and down with one hand.[p]I notice that the rear bracket on the spring hinge travels down farther when the lid is opened verses the latched hinge. I made a make shift housing for the egg (something to set it in until table gets built - don't want anyone knocking over the ceramic egg on my concrete pad), it is 17" high - the same as the gap between shelfs on a table for a large egg. The rear spring hinge hits on the back ledge. I had to raise the egg up a couple inches to prevent this from happening.[p]Looks like consideration is needed for the hinge when building a new table. The spring hinge drops a full 1 1/2 inches when opened.[p]Here are a few pic's.[p]-Boccie

[ul][li]Spring Hinge Pic's[/ul]

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Boccie,
    Thanks for the detailed photos. My large Egg is already in a tile-topped table and from what your photos tell me I can't add the spring assisted device without messing up my table or raising the height of my Egg (Both No No's). Looks like I'm forever stuck with the original equipment.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring TX USA