Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Eggsperiences

Options
Wonka
Wonka Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, thanks to several of your posts, I ended up selecting the XL as my free BGE. (As you may recall, my Dad bought me my choice of eggs!) Thankfully I had a generous friend with a big SUV and strong arms to help me get it home. This thing is a monster and frankly my Weber gasser feels pretty inadequate. We had it set up in about 2 hours. Here are the first fruits:

We start with a few pizzas made the first night I had the egg. These were baked direct on the plate setter with my old gas grill pizza recipe. I look forward to finding a better dough for the egg.

pizza1.JPG

The next night, I made a simple pork roast that had been in the freezer and thawed. I purposely only seasoned it with salt and pepper. This was my opportunity to try out my new wireless dual probe thermometer, as well as lower temp cooking on the egg. I think it went about 1.5 hours at 300. It was one of the better pieces of meat I've ever eaten! Without any brine, marinade, or injection, it was SUPER juicy and flavorful. I put the hickory chunks in the wrong spot, so it never even got wood smoked.

porkroast1.JPG

My wife and I are still enjoying the leftovers and looking forward to the tri-tip that is defrosting in the frig! That'll go on Monday.

Comments