Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post cow roping no knead bread

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well after the cow encounter (see my "need help on no knead bread") wife went ahead and just put bread in the oven. The plain cast iron oven worked great. Hear are a couple pics. Letting it set an hr. before cutting. Will update interior and tast then. Going to do this in the Egg this week. Egg will add a lot more flavor. NEW08034-1.jpgNEW08036-1.jpg

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    Options
    I really thought it would be pretty blan but is actually great. Can only imagine how it would be on the Egg with 1 hickory chunk. Thanks all for feed back and Trex for tuteral. Sorry I didn't Egg it but I will be avenged soon! ;)NEW08037-1.jpg
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Cuidado, Amigo!

Be sure your Egg is clean, and has burned out all nasties before you stick bread in there. I often bake bread in my Egg -- but I have learned that if I'm too eager to get cookin', smoke really inhabits the bread -- to that point that it's inedible... unless you're into eating smoke.

Frankly, I have decided to bake all my bread in the kitchen... a lot less hassle, and I know it will turn out.

Now -- Pizza! -- That's another story!

Best Wishes!

~ Broc
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Two observasions after slicing all up. Used 1 teaspoon reather than 1/2 of yeast. Was light and airy. Don't know if yeast helped or not but sure didn't hurt. 2nd After slicing there was some "raw" flour swirls in loaf. What it was was excess flour that I put on the wax paper when I did the finnal folding before the 1 to 2 hr rest b4 cooking. Reciepe said to use plenty of flour to keep it from sticking but I went overboard I guess. Didn't hurt anything just didn't look good to the eye. Just don't use to much flour on your paper when you do it.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Great pics - looks like a success!!

I echo Broc's advice on the smoke - in fact, I'm not sure I would add any wood chunks. The mild somke essence from the lump itself would probably be sufficient for bread, just as it is for pizza.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers!

TRex