Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison advice

Options
moosebuck
moosebuck Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I've been asked to smoke 2 venison hams for a party. Does anyone have a good recipe for this. Also, I've never done venison before so cooking temp, internal temp, and amount/type of smoke advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I'd go light on the smoke. I would marinate it and don't go more than 135 internal or it will be tough and dry.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like this way. Venison, Ham, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1 1/2 Lbs Venison, Boneless Ham
    Italian Salad Dressing
    Garlic

Preparation
    1 Marinated overnight in Italian Salad Dressing. Took out 1 hour before cooking and sprinkled garlic powder over the meat.
    Cooking
    1 BGE 350°F indirect, handful cherry wood chips. Cooked 1 hour 10 minutes for 150°F internal. Let rest for 10 minutes..

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 04/30/07
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    your final temp brings up a fine point often overlooked...
    wild venison is showing more and more sign of parasitic infection. i have no idea how often they show up, but from the food and game (and USDA) info i have found, wild venison should be cooked to (gulp) 160, to be considered safe. this about breaks my heart. farm raised is (i guess?) safer. i cook my venison to 140 or so. but when i get wild venison (have some steaks in the freezer from an acquaintance), i'm going to be pretty skittish cooking it too much under 150....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Hope they do not decide that med rare beef filets should be 160F hehe. How's the weather?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    no no no.
    WILD venison is the key.

farm raised beef is still fine. the worry there is bacterial, and that's on the OUTSIDE of meat. wild stuff can pick up parasites, and they (some of them anyway) can inhabit the muscle tissue to. like trichinosis can, in pork (though extremely rare in commercial pork).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    most that i know that cook deer, cook newengland deer meat to med rare, but if they got it from the midwest, cook it too the higher temps. im not sure i would really worry about it until i really started seeing it as an issue here. for years the f&g said that the local fish were bad to eat and that you were better off eating the stocked ones, that was until they actually tested the stock ones a few years back, bet the same applies to those farm rasied deer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it