Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to buy various rib cuts in Atlanta

Options
db
db Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
want to try out some ribs I saw done on a show - BBQ University on PBS - and they had ribs that had some cuts I was not familiar with like St Louis cuts, etc. So looking for some suggestions on some good places to find different cuts of ribs in the Atlanta area.

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Don't know about any special places to purchase them in Atlanta, (I'm in Charlotte) but here's a great site with a video about how to make St. Louis ribs from a slab of spare ribs. Personally, I think they're tastier. sometimes a little cheaper, and contain more meat (and fat) than baby backs. You can probably purchase St Louis ribs already cut, but you'll be missing some great trim cuts that are just as tasty as the "pretty part".

St Louis ribs should take a little longer to smoke than baby backs.

Hope this helps.

http://www.squidoo.com/howtocookribs
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    St Luis is just spares that are trimmed a certain way, you can get the spares at Costo or Sam's and do them yourself.

However, I have seen them them often sold already trimmed at some of the Whole Foods or Fresh Market stores here in Atlanta.

For a fun day and a good BBQ cooking class that also shows rib trimming techniques, check out Pork-U which is local. http://www.bbq1.net/PorkU.html

Sam Huff (who is one of the of Sam & Daves BBQ1 and BBQ1 restaurants) teaches an excellent competition style BBQ course. I attended one and had a great time!
    Book early though because attendance is limited and they usually fill up months in advance.
  • DB,
    you can make st Louis cuts from regular spares by trimming them. harry's or whole foods have them, ask for them at publix