Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A local pizza house makes an unusual pizza that's good - andoille gumbo pizza. Won't be ordering it anymore after making a couple this evening. Turkey, andoille, and oyster pizza - outstanding. Used a store bought pizza shell, brushed it with olive oil, sprinkled on a little italian seasoning, loaded the shell with some gumbo and covered with mozzerella and cheddar cheese.

101_1585640x480.jpg

101_1591640x480.jpg

Comments

• Peter Creasey
    Options
    Frank in Houma wrote:
    Turkey, andoille, and oyster pizza - outstanding.

Frank, "Outstanding" is the right adjective. Congratulations!

We'll likely try something like this soon.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Looks absolutely amazing.

Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Greg
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I pulled a container of gumbo out of the freezer. Here is the recipe for the gumbo.

Turkey, andoille, and oyster gumbo

The measurements for the oil, flour and turkey stock are approximate – the rest are good. I normally make this gumbo with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. but have cooked a turkey just to make gumbo or used chicken thighs.

Ingredients
    1 cup of vegetable oil
    2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
    Two onions – chopped
    Two bunches of green onions – chopped
    Four stalks celery – chopped
    ¼ cup chopped garlic
    4 - 6 cups of shredded turkey
    1 lb. andoille sausage
    1 gallon of turkey stock (made from the turkey carcass the day before)
    1 pint shucked oysters with the oyster liquor
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Filé

Start by browning the flour in the oil. Get the oil pretty hot, add the flour and keep stirring until it is as dark as you can get it without burning (the darker the roux, the nuttier the flavor of the gumbo). Add the chopped seasoning and continue stirring. When the onions start to get clear, add the turkey and andoille and continue Stirring for a few minutes. Begin adding the turkey stock a little at a time until the correct consistency is attained. The oysters are added 20-30 minutes before serving – they are cooked when the edges curl. Some people add filé – we serve filé on the side. Filé can make the gumbo bitter if it is cooked in but it’s nice sprinkled on top of the gumbo.

Pizza

Brush the shell with olive oil
    Sprinkle on some italian seasoning
    Add the left over gumbo
    Cover with mozzerella and cheddar cheese
    18-20 minutes indirect on a 450 dome egg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Very nice.

Thanks for the recipe.

Have you tried buying fresh pizza dough from the grocer or Trader Joe's??

They are really good.

Greg
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Haven't tried it yet but will. This was my first pizza. I picked up the Egg around mid December and I'm having a blast with it. Have done several different cooks that were real nice but have already learned things to change to make them mo' better.

BTW - I should have added to simmer the gumbo for a couple hours after the stock goes in. Most of the chopped vegetables should melt away into the gumbo.
  • ShortRIb
    Options