Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Budget Meat Eggsperiment # 124

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any of y'all ever heard of chuck eye steaks? Well, I haven't. I was craving beef tonight but had to fit it in the ever-tightening budget so I started perusing the meat trough at Publix, seeing if I could find a decent looking steak on sale. Then I stumbled upon these critters:

chuckeye1_web.jpg

Never heard of them, never seen them (that I can recall), and they were a little on the thin side (probably just over an inch), but they appeared to have semi-decent fat flecking and they were really tender when I pushed on them, and they were only about $6.50/lb, so I figured I'd give 'em a try.

I coated these puppies with olive oil and Dizzy Cow Lick and left them on the counter for about an hour. Then I ran Mini up to about 800, seared these puppies for 60 seconds a side, then closed the dome and ran Mini at about 550 while I finished them off, about 2 minutes per side - pulled them around 130 internal.

Here's what they looked like, served alongside some garlic/butter french bread.

chuckeye2_web.jpg

Comments: They were indeed very tender - a chewy tender, sort of like a ribeye. They also had quite a bit of fat, especially a piece that seemed to run between two muscles on each steak (you can probably see this in the first picture above). So there was some waste due to the fat I trimmed off as I ate the meat. Overall, I really enjoyed the beefy flavor and chewy tenderness. Wasn't too happy about the amount of waste due to fat. These would probably do well trimmed and used on shish-ka-bobs.

One more picture:

chuckeye3_web.jpg

Just thought I'd share my findings.

Cheers,

TRex

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    VWGal cooks them all the time and loves them. Pretty dang good for the price, she says. I can't find them and very rarely can find flat iron. :(
    Man, I thinking kabobs for Super Bowl now. Haven't done them in months. Thanks for the idea.
    You still breaking all apartment rules by cooking with lump? :)

Mike
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Googled beef cuts. found gourmetsleuth.com/beefcut. from the cow position number one from where all the chuck roast etc. comes from. buying from publix says alot tho. they have very good meat as you well know. THANKS for all the help you've been to every one. Love to shake your hand some day. miles out.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    wait a second... :P
    those were on sale at $5.99/pound? seems kinda high still. i can send you a couple bucks if you need it, man. :whistle:
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I think you would have like them better if I would have brought the Haze.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    if i am not mistaken you can buy the piece whole instead of a steak and split it where the piece of fat is and have yourself a flat iron steak... i think this is the cut the butcher at my publix said :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    nm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    if i am not mistaken you can buy the piece whole instead of a steak and split it where the piece of fat is and have yourself a flat iron steak... i think this is the cut the butcher at my publix said :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Nikonsal
    Options
    I pick them up when I find them at BJ's. Normal price there is $3.99. They go fast, you only get 2 maybe 3 good steak per chuck depending on how thick the steaks are cut. This is the end of the chuck that butts up to the rib ;) .
    DSC01285.jpg
    DSC01288.jpg
    DSC01289.jpg
  • Nikonsal
    Options
    No this piece comes from the underblade, the flat iron comes from the top blade.
  • TRex
    Options
    I'm getting pretty good at bending the rules - I don't consider them actually broken until I get caught :whistle:

What's funny is there's a guy not 100 ft from the leasing office that has a huge gasser right out on his 1st floor patio for everyone to see - at least I have my Eggs on the 3rd floor and I've strategically placed them behind some old plastic saw horses such that you can't even see them from the road. It's the smoke that's presents a problem.

Happy shish-kabobin'!

TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Thanks for the info, miles - I figured it was some "piece" of the chuck roast, just couldn't really picture it while standing in Publix.

Cheers man!

TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    I'll email you my mailing address, Rick. I prefer cash. :woohoo:
  • TRex
    Options
    Indeed, my friend - indeed. Another friend I used to work with down your way just moved back down there (Gonzales) for a new project. She's already enjoying the free-flowin' Abita again . . .

Cheers,

TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Interesting - I thought they were two different sections, but it certainly has a similar flavor to the flat iron.

Need to go review my Bovine Anatomy 101.

Here's an interesting site, by the way:

http://bovine.unl.edu/bovine3D/eng/nIntro.jsp
  • TRex
    Options
    Those look yummy, and better than mine for sure. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

TRex
  • Nikonsal
    Options
    Thanks. Of course it is even a better deal when the meat clerk mislabels them as plain underblade steaks instead of chuck eyes.
    DSC01294.jpg
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Even the label said "perfect for cookout." Good call on trimming and making kabobs with them. Gonna have to try that one.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Good Lord, son! That looks good, but, could we take up a collection? :laugh:
  • Bahmanicious
    Options
    Once upon a time flank steak was a budget cut...sigh... Anyway, these cuts are a bit chewy, however, they do deliver a great beef taste. I generally like my beef rare, but this cut seems to taste best at med rare.
    Best,
    WA
  • BENTE
    Options
    well according to nigosal i am incorrect i will have to ask my meat dude (can't really call them a butcher).

i love the Cow 3D link i lost all of my cool links a week or so ago still trying to remember them thanks for that one ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    ive been finding 2 bone ribeye for that price, if your talking budget try one of these, it took me almost a week to eat it. made by tyson, but really not that bad, presliced 1/4 inch slices
    100_1705.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it