Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30 Lbs of Pork Shoulder

Options
BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, just proved to myself that it IS possible to cram 30 lbs of pork shoulder onto a large Egg..LOL Doing up two whole shoulders, one 16 lbs, one 14, for my mom's legion lunch on Saturday. Would have preferred to do two consecutive cooks, but she just recently informed me that there was some dart or card tourney going on and they would need 2 rather than just one of the shoulders. Thawed em out in cold water all day today, then injected with Stogie's Butt Injection liquid (see Jan 24/02 Archives for details; great stuff!), generous sprinkle of my own rub, then it was off to try and fit them into the Egg, which was warming up and had some hickory chips plus a good chunk each of apple and pecan scattered in among the heaping full charge of lump. I used firebricks (4) flat for a base, then an aluminum drip-pan with a mix of Coke and water, then a large V-rack. The two shoulders were wedged in at about 45 degrees, meeting butt-to-butt in the middle. One small problem was the thermo poking into the meat. Took it out with much difficulty as the bracket was caked with black crusties. I had bent the thermo as well in an attempt to leave it in place. With thermo removed, I slid the Taylor remote through a piece of rind to measure the cooking temp; won't need to worry about meat internal temp for a loooooooooong time! LOL Last 16 lb shoulder I did took 29 hours, at an average of 240 or so. Gonna try and keep it in that same range or slightly higher for this one too, but am banking on something in the 30-36 hour range (mom is coming into town to pick up the pulled meat around noon on Friday). Wish I had a digital camera, but may take some regular snaps in the morning when I restock drip pan and spritz with apple juice. Need to change the gasket too; it leaks just from the Taylor cable being in there, a sign that it's getting too thin I guess. Not many times that you have to pull 2 overnight cooks on the same piece(s) of meat, but this seems like as good a time as any!
Qfan

Comments

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]That's great stuff. I've had trouble with my dome therm hitting food on occassion as well. Sometimes I've moved the clip outside the Egg (dial, clip, dome vs. dial, dome, clip), and sometimes I've used a remote therm...just depends.[p]Good luck with the cook![p]--sdb
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    BBQfan1, Man, I do not envy you doing that much meat at one time on the egg.[p]Keep us posted as to results[p]Marv

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    That's gotta be the best case I've ever heard for adding a small BGE to your collection! I have the thermometer clip on the outside of the dome on my medium. Gives me more clearance. Have fun!