Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snapper For Dinner

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We purchased a piece of snapper for dinner last night and even though it had been previously frozen it was absolutely delicious. We both agreed that it was as good or better than any snapper we could get in a high-end seafood restaurant. $7.00 and we were full.

Very simple setup: small Egg to 375°, olive oiled the meat side, added a few drops of lemon juice and a goodly amount of Dizzy Pig Shaking the Tree rub and a couple of sprigs of fresh Rosemary. Direct, skin side down until internal was 130°, flipped over for one minute and served.

We could taste the fish, the lemon, the Dizzy Pig and the Rosemary but they were in perfect harmony. We'll do that again.

Snapper31-6-08.jpg

Looks good huh?

Spring "Snap To Sailor. There's Seas To Be Sailed" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Very nice looking.

I have yet to cook any fish on the EGG as of yet.

Do you have any problems with the fish falling apart?

Greg
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    No problem at all with it sticking to the grid. When I first got my Egg I had some stick and fall apart but I was doing everything wrong back in those days. Thanks to this Forum I learned a thing or two about cooking everything.

Now fish is on the diet. So we will learn to eat it and like it. So far it's been great.

Here it is on the Egg.

Snapper21-6-08.jpg

Try it, I think you will like it no matter what kind of fish or whether it is fresh or frozen. I think the Egg makes up for lack of Eggsperience cooking fish.

Spring "Shooting For Losing 640 Ounces Of Me" Chicken
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    So what is the secret that you learned about cooking fish on the EGG?

What did you do wrong before?

Thanks,
    Greg
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    When I saw Snapper you got my attention.Years ago after returning from a fishing trip I stopped in a local pub and had a few beers.A man next to me was eating a bowl of soup and it smelled good so I told the waitress to give me one of the same.It was great and I thought that I was eating vegetable beef soup but it was Snapping turtle soup.The next time I visit the shores of Delaware I am going to find a spot that makes it and get the recipe.But first I will have to find some place to buy the meat. Google said after you cut the head off of the turtle it will still run around and it can still bite you.Do your chickens do the same thing?Turtle CHOP CHOP.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I was cooking too hot and for too long. Fish cooks very fast. Plus, I was trying to flip it too soon. Same with meat, let it cook then flip. Also, fish and meat continues to cook after it comes off the Grill. So timing is important as to when to take it off.

Little things but they sure make a difference.

I avoided "planking" fish for a long time but when I tried it I really like it. I think it helps to control the cooking process so that the fish is equally done throughout. And I've learned that cedar imparts a surprisingly nice flavor to salmon.

Fish could easily replace beef or pork for me except I also like beef and pork.

Spring "Learning Curve Continues" Chicken
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Darnoc,
    In Ga. we also use the softshelled turtles. They taste even better than than alligator snapping turtles,IMHO. Before you dehead them we hang them on a nail so that they drain and don't get all dirty running around the yard.

I cooked up a batch for my daughter when she was about four(now sixteen), I told her it was chicken. She would have eaten the whole pan if I'd let her. She said it was the best chicken she'd ever had. Haha.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Ha... this was RED Snapper, but I know what you mean about turtle soup. It's good stuff. I've never knowingly eaten Snapper Turtle Soup before but I've had the Soft Shell Turtle Soup and like it.

As for our chickens, we don't chop nothing. They come ready from the store. I grew up with chickens running around in the yard and don't want that again for sure.

But my Grandmother used to ring their necks and throw them down to play out the stored up energy. They would bounce around all over the place before finally giving in to their fate. Then she would pluck 'em, gut 'em and have 'em in a skillet within a few minutes.

As for Snapping Turtles, I've heard all my life if one bites into you he won't let go until it thunders. I've always wondered if he knew that.

Spring "Sometimes What I Know To Be Absolute Fact Ain't Necessarily So" Chicken
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Before you go on a turtle hunt have three cans of beans for lunch(perhaps break fest to give it a head start.)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Went cooter hunt'n one time and decided right there being shot at in the Army was less dangerous.

Spring "Cooter Gitter Got Up And Gone" Chicken
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I know what you mean.

I have been trying to get better at the recipes that I have started.

I really feel like I have a good feel on smoked drumsticks, wings, chicken breasts, and ham.

I am still trying to get the ribs more consistent. However, I have not tried any seafood but shrimp.

Greg