Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Do you use a cast iron grid?

Vegas Egg MasterVegas Egg Master Posts: 5
edited 3:43PM in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering how many people prefer using a cast iron grid for cooking instead of the standard wire grid that comes with the BGE?
·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 15,558
    I made one for my small and have never reverted back to the rod one. For my large I prefer the stainless steel one tjv had fabricated for us as I never nuke on it - just the small.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • AvocadosAvocados Posts: 465
    I like to use it for searing steaks and things to get nice grill marks. Also use it along with the new, thinner 2" fire ring to get it closer to the coals.

steak.jpg
    ·
  • Can you use the same gripper to remove the cast iron grid? If not, what do you use to take out the grid?
    ·
  • AvocadosAvocados Posts: 465
    I use a 20" flat pry bar that was in my tool collection. Heavy duty and a nice long distance from the fire if you want to lift it out hot.
    lifted.jpg

lifter.jpg

Somebody else here on the forum makes a nice grid lifter that I'll try eventually.
    ·
  • I like mine.

Steak010.jpg

But it 's not necessary.

SteakChops022.jpg
    ·
  • I ordered one a couple of weeks before I came back to work from BBQ galore in Houston. After saying it would take 5 - 7 days, it took about 3 weeks to come in. Thought I was saving some money on shipping but after checking the price it would have still been cheaper to order from the mother ship or somewhere else. I can't wait to get home and get some nice grill marks on a T-rex rib eye.
    Today I am going to order the Turbo grill thingey and a grill extender so it will all be there when I get home.

Luvs to shoot "and just started another day" clays
    ·
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Grate idea. I just got one and cooked on it a few times. I like it.
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    I use the cast iron grid for everything except low and slow cooks and hi-temp poultry cooks.

It conduct heat better, better sear marks, and looks sexy.
    ·
  • EdemitchEdemitch Posts: 196
    I just use the ash tool. You just need to make sure you pick it up from the center or it tips and falls off
    Ed
    ·