Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are planning on doing Tandoori chicken tomorrow.I have searched the archives and have seen suggested cooking temps from 350 - 600. I am leaning towards trying hot since I done 350 on the Weber many times. Whats your prefered temp and setup?

Comments

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    I would do it one of two ways. Either raised grid at about 500 degrees turning a couple times and cooking for a total of about 15-18 minutes. This will get a decent char on the outside. The other way would be not raised but only grill each side for about 3 minutes at 500 degrees then shut the top and bottom down to let it finish cooking for about 10-15 minutes. Use an instant read thermometer and take it off around 160 degrees internal.

I made Chicken Tikka Masala last night and used boneless breasts coated in a yogurt mixture. I cooked the breasts using the first method and it worked great. Maybe a little more char than would be traditional. I believe you use bone-in chicken parts for traditional tandoori.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I had some very bad results doing Tandoori chicken and this nice man from Austrialia give me this link to his web site that was very insightfull.
    http://www.bbqblue.com.au/smoke_woods/site_files/cordon_blue_roasting_chicken.html
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Willie:

Thanks for the link I searched high an low and never found thatt link. We were planning on marrinating the chicken for one day but a small emergency delayed the chicken another day. I cooked indirect at 500-550 on a raised grill. I put the drumsticks and the breast on at the same time. I though the drumsticks would cook faster but decided I could pull them first. I did and the drumsticks were great. Unfortunately the breasts finished off faster than I expected and were overcooked. It surprised my have fast they went up. Not a bad first shot as the flavors were much better than on a Weber.