Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: Fidel

Options
slyrye
slyrye Posts: 135
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
you mentioned in an earlier post that you had done a stuffed pork loin. I have a 4 lb pork roast and was looking for a idea on stuffing, maybe carving it out flat and rolling it back up, any ideas for the stuffing?
I assume it would have to be thin, Mrs. rye wondered if pepperoni and cheese would be good inside??????

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    howdy Slyrye!
    You might find if you ask the forum instead of one person, you will get a wide variety of answers. Offering suggestions before Fidel answers might be considered bad karma...

Beers to you!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Nah dude, I don't care. Chime in, I'm no expert, I've never even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Options
    Nice to hear from ya Chris. Point taken, you just reminded me i need some more red eye express and others.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I've done a few of them - your imagination is really the limit to the stuffing.

I just do a simple butterfly, split it about 75% of the way through like a sub roll. If I am putting in a heavy stuffing I may carve out a sliver of meat, then stuff it and tie it up.

Some others have done the fancy knife work and done them more like a jelly roll. I lack the patience to do one that looks pretty.

I personally think pepperoni and cheese would be great.

I usually do some sort of cheese and or sausage. I've never done one with a bread based stuffing, though that sounds good as well.
  • Fidel
    Options
    By the way, I checked UPS and it appears a box full of flavor departed Chantilly yesterday and is headed for my doorstep in the morning.

Thanks for the quick service (as usual).
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    LOL. Maybe I am sensitive after a year and a half of exuding far less karma than normal....but seems like that post was directed to you alone, and I did not wanna stomp on any toes! My little general contracting experience has me tired of stompin on toes!!

heee!
    Cheers to you mang.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Not the kind of reminder I had in mind!!
    Come on in. The rubs are fresh...all ground within the past two weeks!

Anyways, I like caramelized onions/garlic, mushrooms and cheese as a stuffing. Maybe a little bread as a binder, but not critical. The pepperoni wouldn't be bad, but might overwhelm the subtle taste of the pork.

Have fun! Oh....if you have a long filet knife, you can often cut a slit through the center of the roast (from one end but not coming all the way out the other) without laying the whole thing open, then just shove the stuffing in and "stretch" the roast out with it.

See wum sayin??
    Have a blast! I have a pork roast on tap too....but I think I'll get lazy and cut it into chops.
    Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com