Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Chuck Roast

Larry McSassLarry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My mother in law gave us a Chuck Roast, suggesting we do it in the crock pot...the classic pot roast w/ potatoes, carrots, etc. I was wondering if anyone had done one of these on the Egg before. It's about a 4 pounder, boneless, but a very nice piece of meat nonetheless. I have a few questions....how many should this feed, what temp/how do I cook it, seasoning ideas? Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Ron_LRon_L Posts: 163
    Larry... How you cook it depends on what you want to end up with ;)

You can cook it for pot roast with veggies and taters in a dutch oven in the Egg or you can cook it like a brisket indirect, low and slow, to make great chopped or pulled beef. I have done both and they both come out great.

There is a very good pot roast recipe on the Virtual Bullet site (I hope a link to another forum is OK. If not, I apologize in advance).

Pot Roast ala Stogie

For chopped or pulled beef I season it as I would a brisket (Montreal Steak Seasoning usually) and then cook it low and slow until th einternal temp hits 190-ish than I begin checking it for doneness with my thermometer probe. If I am going to chop it then 190 - 195 is usually OK but itI want to pull it then I usually go to 200, but it depends on the cut of meat.

Hope that helped.