Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast

Options
Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My mother in law gave us a Chuck Roast, suggesting we do it in the crock pot...the classic pot roast w/ potatoes, carrots, etc. I was wondering if anyone had done one of these on the Egg before. It's about a 4 pounder, boneless, but a very nice piece of meat nonetheless. I have a few questions....how many should this feed, what temp/how do I cook it, seasoning ideas? Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    Larry... How you cook it depends on what you want to end up with ;)

You can cook it for pot roast with veggies and taters in a dutch oven in the Egg or you can cook it like a brisket indirect, low and slow, to make great chopped or pulled beef. I have done both and they both come out great.

There is a very good pot roast recipe on the Virtual Bullet site (I hope a link to another forum is OK. If not, I apologize in advance).

Pot Roast ala Stogie

For chopped or pulled beef I season it as I would a brisket (Montreal Steak Seasoning usually) and then cook it low and slow until th einternal temp hits 190-ish than I begin checking it for doneness with my thermometer probe. If I am going to chop it then 190 - 195 is usually OK but itI want to pull it then I usually go to 200, but it depends on the cut of meat.

Hope that helped.