Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coke and Butt

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 361
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't remember how much coke to use when I re-heat pulled pork. Plan to use the oven. What temp and how long, also. TIA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    one 12 oz of Coca-Cola Classic for 2 to 4 pounds will work fine!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DynaGreaseball,
    No coke here. I like using a bottle or can of your favorite beer. Works just fine! Yum Yum

• RRP, never heard of this, but sounds interesting. Do you put the pork and coke in a pan, and cover it with foil while it heats?

• RRP
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    the Coke is an old restaurant trick. BTW it has to be the original Coca-Cola classic, not diet, not flavored and whatever NOT pepsi!!! Just Coke! Merely pour the Coke over the meat and stir it from time to time while on a low heat and yes a cover is advised. Don't worry about the taste being sweet or tainted because it won't be. Lastly I always tell people not to tell your guests about this trick because some will form a preconceived idea or wrinkle up their noses!

• RRP, I want to try this. Do you warm it in the oven or on the stove top? Had assumed in over until you mentioned stirring.

• RRP
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    most times I use a crock pot, but the trick works in a pan on a stove too as well as an oven - just more hassle in the oven. After all what you are doing is just warming the meat on low heat not cooking it.

• RRP, yep, guess I was asking a dumb question; obviously, either way would work. Anyway, thanks for the info. One way I have heated pulled-pork that works pretty well is to put it in a zip-lock bag and simmer it for a few minutes in water.
  • RRP
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    the bag suspended in hot water works fine for small quantities - the Coke just works better when you are reheating several pounds where a bag and huge pot isn't practical. BTW this trick also works for reheating beef - before learning this I never ate warmed over beef as I hated that crappy taste it takes on - but not with the Coke trick.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    RRP,[p]We use the big Nesco Roasters to reheat vacuum bags of PP. I think they are 18 QT models. Anyway, you can do 8 pounds more or less in each roaster, I try to bag them in 3 to 4 pound amounts so they are easy to rotate. They work good for whole briskets too.[p]You might like reading the results of my Reheating Liquid Poll. Coke is used a lot, both straight and mixed in with other things.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Reheating Liquids[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye and RRP, this is very helpful. Thank you.

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Thanks guys!