Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing - Having trouble getting temp of egg to 600

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having trouble getting the egg up to 600 degrees necessary for searing a steak. It seems to take me forever, or at least 2 hours. Is that normal or does anyone have any tips for getting the temp up faster? Thanks

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Jim,[p]I am assuming you've got your vent and fire box opening aligned and that your not too clogged with ash.[p]Sometimes when it goes slow building up to heat for me I open the lid for a couple of minutes (2 to 5) then close it back down. I may have to do this a couple of times but once the heat starts to build just stand back and let it run.[p]Hope this helps,
    Jethro

• Jethro, just blow a hair dryer in the bottom vent for a few seconds with the vents wide open, that will take care of it.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Smoke_gets_in_my_eyes,
    Please be sure your meat is not in the egg when you use a dryer, the ash will cover it. ÖÖ
    New Bob

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Jim,
    As Jethro said...you need to assure your firebox is aligned with your lower vent...and if that is true there can only be 2 things that I have experienced..first being ash that is either blocking the grate or built up in the lump itself or piled to deep in the bottom of the egg to allow sufficient airflow..or damp lump...either way it shouldn`t take 2 hours...stir your lump thoroughly and get all the ash out of it and out of the grate and out of the bottom of the egg...I typically leave about a 1/2" in the bottom for insulating reasons....if you still have a problem try adding some fresh lump to the top that you know is dry...HTH[p]Wess