Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first butt - perfect!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked my first butt for tonight's dinner. It was ~10lb. Everything went pretty well, though it being my first attempt, I couldn't go all night without getting up a couple times (3AM,6AM) to check it. (I needn't have.)[p]I put it on yesterday at 3:30 and took it off today at 12:45. For the most part, I followed Elder Ward's wonderful instructions. I also used his recipes for slaw and hush puppies. They were excellent.[p]The egg stayed at 200 through the night, and the meat at 150. At 8:30 I upped the egg to 300. The butt hit 200 at 12:45.[p]It was outstanding. I'm very pleased with the outcome.[p]And after 21 hours, my medium egg is still about half full of lump.[p]I was really apprehensive about this long cook, but with the excellent instructions provided by Elder Ward, and all the success stories I've seen here, I had to give it a shot. I'm glad I did.[p]EgginJacket (Too many dang dawgs in this forum!)

Comments

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    EgginJacket,
    Congrats - feels good, no? And tastes even better! I am still new at this myself - have done 3 butts so far. I also followed Elder Wards instructions. Oh, man![p]There should be an MVP award in the BGE world - EW and several others on this forum would be instant members.[p]Sunday - the family - Egg'n - Olympics - amateur radio - one or three JBC's. This is it.[p]LVM

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    EgginJacket,
    Glad to hear of your success. Dawgs and Jackets can
    coexist in the big green world. Whoo whoo whoo (sorry,
    couldn't resist).
    Chuck