Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Figured out the multiple-pizzas thing

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Earlier I posted that as I made 4 pizzas, the first came out great, and each progressive one ended up having a darker bottom that tasted a little more burnt.[p]Thanks to all your ideas, I found that the first pizza (10 minute preheat of pizza stone at 500) I would cook for 7-8 mins. After that, raise dome temperature to 600-650 degrees. Cook the next pizza at around 6 minutes. After that reduce to 5-6 minutes. Everything turned out great! :)[p](Although I did end up using a lot of lump!)[p]Just thought I'd share my results for anyone else having this problem.

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Jamesw,[p]Outstanding! Glad to read that you have a good grip on the pizza thing.[p]Reading your post has now put pizza on the Puj menu for next weekend.[p]Puj
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Jamesw,
    Or alternatively, you could preheat the egg to one temperature that you intend to use, and preheat it long enough for the pizza stone to stabilize. Then do successive pizzas in that stable environment. I've found that 550 degrees with a 30 minute preheat of the stone and a 6 minute bake yields great results on pizzas from our local pizza joint. Whatever works for you, but I've always figure a stable environment makes the most sense. Last night we had a white pizza with grilled chicken, red peppers, mandarin oranges and nice sprinkle of black pepper. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I like smoke on my pizzas so I throw in a healthy portion of soaked hickory chips, too! Oh baby![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    What is a "white" pizza?
    LVM

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Jamesw,[p]Good to hear. I also tried a different approach to multiple pizzas. Insead of pulling off pie #1, going into the house, putting pie #1 on a rack, building pie #2 on the peel and then placing pie #2 on the stone I simply grabbed the whole stone, slid pie #1 on a rack, held the stone out for 30 seconds, put it back in the egg and slid a ready and waiting pie #2 on the stone. Not only did the stone have a chance to cool slightly, the time between cooks was eliminated. Worked great for all three pizzas.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    LasVegasMac,
    A pizza without tomato sauce is what I understand the term to mean. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz