Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEED QUICK ADVICE!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all![p]I just threw 2 whole chickens, each cut in half, on to my egg. I made a foil pouch containing 3 hand fulls of Apple Chips. The birds have been smoking for about 10 minutes now. Is 3 hand fulls enough, too much, not enough? Also, I have the egg dialed in at 275 degrees dome temp. At what internal temperature should I pull the birds off so I can ramp up the egg for crispier skin and what is the best dome temperature to achieve a crispy skin? Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    BigFisch,
    Why did you make a foiled pouch for the wood chips?

• Gadgetman,[p]I read somewhere that was a good way of doing it because they burn too fast sitting directly over coals. I don't know how much sense that makes, but the smoke is doing a good job of rolling out.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    BigFisch,[p]Apple is mild enough to use 3 hand fulls. I'd go to 350 dome and once breast reach 150 open lower vent and remove daisy. Get temps to 500 or so for last 15-20 min. Skin should be crispy. I personally cook mine at 500 the whole hour, come out great. I was led to this method from someone else here. I think it's known as Zuni Chicken or Zuni BBQ. Pull chicken at 160 breast temp or when drumstick easily rotates in thiegh socket.[p]Mike
  • Mike in Abita,[p]Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming I should remove my plate setter when I ramp up the temp?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    BigFisch,[p]If the chips are small then pouching them is a good idea.[p]They won't start smoking as quick and there they will not ignight into flame. If cooking direct that will sear the chicken.[p]I spatchcock'd some chickens of late. That is sure a nice way to cook the chickens.[p]I get the lump going and egg to temp. Use a raised grid direct. Follow TNW instructions for temp & time.[p]One hour later, no turning the skin is a good texture and the chicken is done to perfection.[p]When cooking these I spread the chips arount the lump. Some in the burning and some just outside the light lump - the chips will start smoking as the lump begins to burn and the heat spreads out over the lump bed.
  • Grandpas Grub,[p]Thank you for your reply! I just went outside to check progress and baste with a little spritz of apple juice. Very little Smoke is coming out now, so the chips have already burnt up. I got about 45 minutes of smoking out of my foil pouch and the skin is already browning up, perhaps the coloring is from the smoke? Think I should add more Chips or do you think I'm good. Also, I am cooking these indirectly over the plate setter. I have grilled many things, but this is my first attempt at low and slow.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    BigFisch,[p]If your pouch is big enough you will continue to get smoke flavor out of your flavor wood. As long as the chips re not exausted you will get the same effect as you do with the lump.[p]First white 'bitter' type smoke then a more clear smoke.[p]Let us know how your chicken turns out & tastes.[p]It took me quite a while to do a spatchcock chicken but unless I am doing a bunch of wings, legs or leg/thigh's I will most always opt for spatchcock.