Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner to a Large BGE

Options
Seethewave
Seethewave Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After receiving my new egg for christmas from my wife, I professed my love. My wife was surprised to see that I was talking to my grill, not her. Due to missing parts from the dealer, I have not been able to try it out yet. As of this moment, I am ready to roll. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should cook first?
Thanks

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Seethewave,
    Welcome to Eggdome. You will love your Egg.[p]One of the best meals to cook first on your Egg is Spatchcocked Chicken. It's easy and very tasty. [p]Go to the link below for instructions.[p]Spring "Spatchcocked And Loaded" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

[ul][li]Spatchcocked Chicken[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken,[p]I have to agree. Everyone can grill pretty decent chicken with practice on most any grill. It is just that decent. When you do it on the egg and are expecting that decent chicken, you will be AMAZED at how incredible chicken can actually be. So moist and juicy - it is a GREAT first cook!
  • Lost in utah
    Options
    Seethewave,[p]When I got my new egg the first thing I cooked was TRex Steak. Best steak I ever cooked.
  • YetiBob,[p]I agree... my first meal on the egg was chicken and I will never forget the look on my wife's face when she took her first bite... and she is not a woman that gets excited about back yard grilling.[p]
  • Seethewave
    Options
    Thanks for the idea! I'll let you know T-Minus 5 hours how it turns out! It's great to have such a large knowledge base to refer to!

• Seethewave, Lost In Utah is right about how great a T-rex steak is and I highly recommend that method. However, it is a good idea to do a few cooks with a new egg at lower temps to let the gasket form a good seal with the egg.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Seethewave,
    I would do anything to keep the temp under 400-450 the first couple times so your gasket will seal correctly.[p]A pork loin would be a good choice as it will cook long enough to give you an opportunity to work with the vents and daisy wheel to learn more about temp control.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Seethewave,
    Welcome aboard!
    I applaud you for being sensible with your first cook...I'm always amazed at the people who decide for their first use to invite over 50 couples and buy $400 worth of meat! Then they are clueless how to light the fire let alone cook on it and then become embarrassed when it's a flop! Next they wrongly b*tch about BGE.[p]Crawl, walk, run - it's as simple as that! Good luck!!!

• Seethewave, LOL just a tip. weigh yourself now and in 6 months. walking back and forth to the egg to cook is not much exercise for all you will eat! Enjoy!! Julie
  • Seethewave
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    Does this forum recommend any other websites for recipes?
    Thanks

• Lost in utah
    Options
    Zee,[p]I had no problem with my gasket doing a high temp cook the first time, however I understand that some have had problems, so just to play it safe I would go with Zee's recommendation and do a few low temp cooks at first.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Seethewave,
    First, welcome!! We are glad to have you cooking with us.
    I would initially cook nothing and get used to taking the temp to 225F for about 30 mins, then 325F for about 30 mins, then back down to 225F for 30 mins. You will see that stabilizing the temp is the most important talent to master. Take notes on a pad, you will want this pad for future cooks. If I had to have something on the grill while I did this, it would be a "fattie". They can be pretty forgiving. Make sure you don't put any food on until the smoke goes clear or slightly blue. HTH.

• Georgie
    Options
    Seethewave,
    I agree, spatchcock chicken is the easiest way to attain a really impressive result and show off to yourself and your family what a great investment the egg is. My first meal was chicken breasts and I messed them up by putting them on too early - make sure the smoke from the coals is clear (i.e., you have established a clean fire - roughly 30-40 min or so after lighting) before putting the meat on. I put it on when the coals were still blowing white/gray smoke and it didn't turn out well.[p]2nd meal suggestion: ribs. again, relatively easy way to explore your egg's capabilities and get some really impressive and fun results.[p]Have fun!

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Seethewave,
    I am sure you can find a lot of recipes. Wess is always putting his site out, the naked whiz has some stuff as does thirdeye. Don't know any of them off the top of my head.

• Seethewave
    Options
    Juliem4444,
    HA HA I believe you may be right. I have already thought of 50 different things to cook within the next 2 weeks, much less 60 days!

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Big'un,[p]Words to live by right there.[p]How are things down southside my friend?
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Seethewave, if you need recipes - eMail me. I can give you more than you will ever be able to use. TNW and WessB have most of my PDF cookbooks on line but I have a lot of recipes in addition to those.

• Seethewave,
    HHHMMMM....... Missing pieces...."see the wave"
    Two weeks.... Tuggie? LOL Julie