Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pork Spare Ribs

Options
Craig
Craig Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]Anyone have any great suggestions on temp, time and helpful suggestions on Pork Spare Ribs. I am going to try them out on my new XL-BGE. I got the plate setter for the in direct heating. I have BBQ'ed Baby Backs in my Weber Kettle before but never Spare Ribs. Any help would be most appreciated. [p]Thanks[p]Craig

Comments

• Michael B
    Options
    craig,[p]MGC,
    Try searching for 3-1-1 or 3-2-1, you need the dashes.
    3-2-1 for spares, 3-1-1 or 2-1-1 is for baby backs,.
    The numbers are the time in hours to cook the ribs at each of three stages.[p]Spares:[p]Prep work:
    Put your ribs on a cutting board, bones up.
    Peal the membrane off the back.
    Slather both sides with yellow mustard.
    Cover with your favorite rub and work in a bit.
    Cover and place in the refrigerator 24 hours, or at the very least, overnight.[p]
    Cooking:
    Remove from the refrigerator and place on the cutting board again while you prep your Egg, 250*, indirect with a drip pan.
    3 - Put the ribs in the Egg, meat side up, for three hours.
    2 - Wrap the ribs in heavy foil; add about 2 ounces of liquid – apple cider, or apple cider and apple cider vinegar are popular, seal the foil and place back in the Egg, bone side up, for 2 hours (1 hour for BBs).
    1 – Unwrap the ribs and place them back in the Egg, meat side up, for 1 hour to firm up. If you are serving them wet, mop with sauce at 30 minutes and again at 15 minutes before removing.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    craig,
    Check the cooks section of my website...should help ya out..even though my cooks are showing babybacks, the idea is the same, just may take a little longer[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB's[/ul]