Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GOOOOOD Tri-Tip!

Options
WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have been trying a wide variety of techniques with Tri-Tips lately. Marinated/unmarinated. Various seasonings. Already seasoned. Weber. Pit. Lots of compliments on the results, but I'm one of those that says, if the cook's not happy with the results, they're jus' bein' polite.[p]Saturday, I made what was probably my best in YEARS (sorry, no pictures). 3 pound unseasoned from Albertson's (supposedly a more expensive cut from the cheapstuff - but no real details on the packaging - just more $$$). Marinated in "Bone Sucking Sauce" for just under 3 hours at room temp in a zip lock bag. "Massaged" the Tri-Tip every 20 minutes or so to make sure the marinade was even and all over the meat. Placed it into a glass dish and covered with garlic powder, onion powder, coarse ground pepper, a little Lindberg's, and a little Pappy's.[p]Got the fire (Lump and 1 good sized chunk of hickory) going at high temps to 550-600 dome. Threw a couple of fire bricks on the grill at the start. Seared on each flat side about 2 minutes, then proped it up against the fire bricks on the "skinny" sides for about a minute each. Pulled it, shut the fire down, 20 minutes rest under foil (I also place it in my microwave for safety {animals} and better temp regulation)(no, I ddon't turn the microwave on:)) ). The dome temp was at 360. Amout 20 miutes on the first side, and 15 on the other and pulled it. 15 minute rest under foil. Sliced against the grain.[p]
THIS WAS GOOOOOD STUFF!! Disappeared almost instantly. Compliments that I actually believed.[p]Might pull it minute or so earlier (nicely pink throughout, with just the very center slightly red). Probably marinate it a little longer too (love "Bone Sucking Sauce").[p]Might be a while until I go back to the Weber or the Santa Maria pit for Tri-Tip.[p]Love my BGE.

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BGETri-Tip005.jpg
    <p />WJS,
    I hear ya, it's good stuff. I'm still learning about tri-tip and from what I have had so far it's a favorite at our house.
    Your BBQ sauce marinade sounds good. I will be egging up some tri-tip over Christmas.
    Now you got me thinking of marinades.....