Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts for 35

Options
jonesey
jonesey Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got great advice the other day on how many butts I would need for 30 folks. It's now 35 so I think the four 8 pounders will be plenty. Last question..maybe....I always use my vrack and drip pan for individual butts but obvioulsly can't do that with four of them. I have an XL with a plate setter. Will it work to make a drip pan out of foil to sit on the plate setter and just place the butts on the grate?

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Jonesey,
    Tis how I do them on my large so yes it will work. I think it is WessB that has a picture of something like 5 butts smoking away on a XL.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Jonesey,[p]That will work fine, I always do butts on the grid. But a homemade foil drip pan will likely not hold the drippings from 5 butts. [p]On an XL you can fit about anything, so go buy a foil cake pan or similar that will be deep enough to hold the drippings and wide enough to catch them.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Jonesey,
    like fidel said i don't think a "homemade" foil one will work. i have taken aluminum foil and wrapped a pyrex pan and used it as a drip pan.
    DSCN0336.jpg[p]make sure you do use a drip pan as you can see here i did not use one
    DSCN0083.jpg[p]and the resulting grease fire after i pulled the butts (i was doing a clean burn) melted my gasket and sent my thermometer all the way around.[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Jonesey,
    If you would like a little more clearance for your drip pan you can use three bolts. 3" X 1/4", nuts, and washers to raise the grid. See Photo. You can see one of the bolts on the right side. This set up is on top of firering. I can also set it up on top of the platesetter and get more clearance. Notice how the grid is now the same level as the felt line. By raising grid I no longer have to reach in and down. Spatula's work better in this level as well.[p]DSC_0011.jpg[p]Good luck and please post pics.[p]Mike

• jonesey
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    I don't see the picture.....can you try again?

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    Jonesey,[p]If you put the plate setter, legs up under the fire ring you will have plenty of room for a regular drip pan. Put the grid on the fire ring and you are good to go with the butts right on the grate. I am pretty sure that this is the way that bge says to use the XL with plate setter anyhow.[p]-Jill
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
  • jonesey
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    Thanks to all for the great advice and the pics. Mike...I am going to try you set up with the bolts but can't get it together for this one. Just found out they need the butts by 6 tomorrow night and I can't put them on until morning. Going to get them on for twelve hours at the most and hope for the best. My 16 year old son and I will either be heros or bums for our first attempt at egging for 35 folks. I'll take some pictures and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the great tips. Had the XL for a couple of months and having a ball.

• JDub
    JDub Posts: 23
    Options
    Jonesey,[p]Had my XL for about 6 weeks and had 2 butt cooks, one with 2 butts and one with 3. Both took about 20-22 hours to get to 190 degrees. I'm not sure you can get the results you are looking for in 12 hours. Obviously, you will need to cook hotter than 225-240. I look forward to hearing how it turns out.