Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Propane Cooker Advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You may wonder why I'm asking for advice about propane cookers on the BGE forum... but hey, it's the center of the known "outdor cooking" universe, so I'm hoping there are also some propane experienced folks out there too. Whilst all sorts of glorious treats emerger from my BGE, my house has no range hood, so I find myself in need of an outdoor cooker frying chores, (like blackened fish!). Having done a little bit of web surfing, I find myself more confused than enlightened. I'm pretty sure I need only a simple single burner affair... and I'd like to be able to have high heat (Lobster boils), and low heat (bacon) as well, if possible, but... 30,000 btu? 85,000? 130,000? Ajust the flame via the regulator, vs those burners with the little levers? Any advice? Anyone have any favorite propane rigs that they like, grand or modest? THANKS! Mike/Seattle

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Mike Flaherty,
    If you'll e-mail me back, I'll give you the e-mail address for a buddy of mine that does fantastic fish frys and trout boils up at our deer shack in Wisconsin. Norm is par-excellance when it comes to those things. I think he can help you out![p]Dr. chicken

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Mike Flaherty,
    I use a large flat cast-iron skillet on my BGE for blackening fish. Leave the lid up and the bottom damper wide open. It's like standing next to a blacksmith's forge. It won't get your skillet white-hot, but you still need a long spatchula to prevent grilling your knucks. I don't even use my propane cooker for blackening anymore. If you are going to buy a propane cooker, go ahead and get a "high pressure" regulator. Then you can cook crawfish, lobster, fry turkeys, or boil peanuts. It can be adjusted down for finer settings. The best way to fry fish is to use one of them electric deep fryers like a Grandpappy, Frydaddy, or even better, one that has an adjustable thermostat. Be sure to use a large gauge extension cord if cooking outdoors. Small diameter cords don't allow the grease to get hot enough, but will certainly heat up your fusebox.

• NCMike
    NCMike Posts: 28
    Options
    Mike Flaherty,
    Try your local homebrew store. They typically will have a couple of different burners. Mine's 200,000 btus and comes in quite handy.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Mike Flaherty,[p]I picked up a Metal Fusion "King Cooker" from Sam's Club several years ago. It was one of the best $50 investments I ever made. 185,000 BTUs. With a big old cast iron skillet (Lodge make a 22 incher) and a 40+ qt stock pot, you can blacken whatever or have a shrimp boil for an army.[p]K~G