Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast turkey cooks???

Options
tach18k
tach18k Posts: 1,607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Several egger's and myself have had turkeys cook faster than they thought. I did a Madd Max turkey. My turkey was 23+ pounds. I had the cavity packed with the ingredients as MM stated. Could the fast cooks be caused by the amount of moisture in the ingredients in the cavity? Steam cooking. I know my breast which were iced a good 30 minutes before going on the Egg were over 165 and hour before the thighs were 175. But they were not dry what so ever, again steamed?? I know everything I read said my turkey should have been 6+ hours for 23 + pounds. Before the turkey went on I did calibrate the thermometer. Just some thoughts?

Comments

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    tach18k,
    Two ideas come to mind. The cooking time suggestions might be concidered with stuffing in the bird, in effect creating a bigger thermal mass to cook. With out stuffing it is finishing faster. Also the suggestion time might be calculated in order to bring the bird to a higer combined internal temp. That being said my bird was done pretty quick and my mom's we did in her oven last year was done pretty quick also. The might also have added a safety factor into the times just be on the safe side for people that are not paying close attention to the internal temp.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    tach18k,
    don't know how to explain it. . .my 21.9 pounder went exactly 6 hours in a well established 325 degree egg. . .and my egg, like yours, took over 1/2 an hour to get back up to 325 after i put the bird in (and i didn't adjust vents at all either. ...now, i do faithfully baste every 20 - 30 minutes after the first hour, but my dome temp always comes back up very quickle do to the way the ceramic has heated up. ...and i also get a pretty fair amount of steam buld up. ..i know this because every time i open the dome to baste, i get hit with a big blast of steam that steams up my glasses. .. .[p]so i'm not sure what is causing yours to cook so fast. ..[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Was it a Butterball?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    thirdeye, no, generic market bird

• Michael B
    Options
    tach18k,[p]I don't have an answer, but...
    The last few turkeys I've done have had the pop-up thermometer in them.
    My thermometers said the turkeys were done.
    The clear juices said the turkeys were done.
    When sliced, the color and texture said the turkeys were done.
    ... but, none of the pup-up thermometers popped.