Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Brine

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to brine my turkey. I thought I would start it tonight, then take it out tomorrow night(after 24 hrs), rinse, stuffed with onions, etc. and place in refrigerator until Thursday morning. Is there any reason I can't take it out of the brine 10 -12 hours before I start to cook? Would save me a step Thanksgiving morn.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sea Ray,[p]You want to take brined meats out of the brine and rest in the refrigerator. It's called equalization and in a nutshell, you want the whole osmosis thing to settle down and all of the liquids that have been in motion to, well...equalize within the meat. On a turkey, 4 hours would be the minimum rest, the 10 you mention will be no problem. [p]This will also allow some drying time on the skin if you subscribe to that method to help it crisp up. If not, you can sure cover it with plastic wrap. I might wait on adding the aromatics until later.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sea Ray,
    I have had problems with over brining. I would not let it soak any more than 24 hours.

• egger ave
    Options
    Sea Ray,
    I would brine no more than 1 hour per pound, less is better than more from personal experience. I allow at least the same length of time for resting the turkey in the frig as you brine it.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • thirdeye,[p]Thanks. That will save me some time Thurs morn. I'll wait and add the onions, etc. in the morning. Have a 16.5# bird - thinking about 18-20 soak in the brine. About the right time???

• eggerave,[p]Thanks. Great easy advice that I think I can remember. Last year I used the same brine mix and cooked on my Brinkman smoker (pre-BGE). It was juicy and tasty, but I found that the next day the leftovers were very salty - probably over - brined. Will try the 1 hour per pound.