Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on smoking a turkey breast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any good tips or recipes for smoking a turkey breast on the Green Egg? (i.e. seasoning, temperature, plate setter or not, how long, etc.)

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mike Morgan,
    I do them like I would in the oven. 325 degrees over a drip pan. The time is about the same as in an oven, look for a table on the wrapper that tells you how many minutes per pound. Personally, I like Montreal Steak Seasoning on turkey, and of course now Dizzy Pig has a better alternative with their Raisin' The Steaks rub. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Big Hoser
    Options
    Mike Morgan,[p]I'm going to do a 7lb turkey breast in my small on T-day. Plan is to season with DP Shakin' the Tree (great lemon-pepper rub) and inject with some creole butter. Cooking at 350 dome with Chub's grate mates setup, I figure it'll take about 2 hours.[p]Happy Eggin'.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p] Montreal Chicken spice is good too.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Little Steven,
    I tried it, but it's just not my thing. Maybe because it is more "herby" than "spicy?" [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Mike Morgan,[p]I did 1 Butterball boneless breasts today with my spider/pizza stone/drip plate under for indirect, grate on the fire ring, then woo2, grate on top with a small ham on top. This was a practice setup for TG and worked well. I brined these breasts althought I don't think I will for TG, the ham I used Habanero Beer Mustard sauce on the outside and just scored it, it turned out very good, I was surprised. The beer mustard sauce added a little sweetness with just a slight hint of habanerp flavor but no heat, didn't use a lot plus cooking it I think takes some of the heat away with such a small amount on it. I cooked at 350 and it took just over 3 hrs, both breasts were in the 3lb range.
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    mb168,[p]oops, don't know how that 1 got there, it was 2 breasts and 1 ham....
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Mike Morgan, I have done mine indirect, drip pan, 325 till the breast is 160, remove and cover for about 30 minutes. I use some cherry and apple wood, no fancy spices just something from dizzy pig.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02866a.jpg
    <p />Mike Morgan,[p]I do them both ways, direct and indirect. I do brine mine. And like TNW, I think Canadian or Montreal seasoning works well with turkey. I listed my recipe below if you want to try a small batch sometime.[p]For direct I use either a raised grate (even with the rim) or a very raised grate, (rim + 3-1/2"), a small even fire with a dome temp of not more than 300°. They take me around 2-1/2 hours to hit 160°. [p]For indirect, I use a plate setter with drip pan and grate on top of it. Cooking time is about the same because I cook at a higher temp, around 325° dome temp.[p]The skin crisps up nicer with the direct method and I like to drop a few chips through the grate a couple of times during the cook. I did one this weekend and have 3 to do tomorrow for friends. I'm toying with just going indirect with them as they will be chilled anyway, any crisp skin will soften. I'm going to go mild on the smoke not knowing how their guests feel about it.[p]Admittedly, this rub should be coarse ground, but in a pinch you can experience the footprint of the flavors by using the ingredients from your spice rack. if you don't have lemon peel, try lemon pepper.[p]Montreal Steak Rub
    Ingredients:
    3T coriander seeds
    3T black peppercorns
    4T dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
    2T onion flakes
    2T garlic flakes
    2T sea salt
    1T caraway seeds
    2T dill seeds
    1T dried thyme
    1t dried lemon peel[p]Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery