Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend cook: smoked salmon - four ways

Options
Ca_rnivore
Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used Chuck's "smoked trout" brine and cook method for a couple of salmon filets this weekend. Only difference was that I couldn't find
sugar maple, so I used only alder. Here's the four ways that I used this wonderful tasting fish.[p]1) Hot off the grill, popped it in my mouth. Most excellent!
2) Cooled, flaked and put into a salad. - good flavor, but salad is not my favorite food, unless it's the ever rare and elusive all-meat salad!
3) Salmon salad sammiches for lunch today. flaked salmon, mayo, Salt + pepper. Looks and smells yummy.
4) Took left over salmon skin, BBQ'd at 300 until firm, yet still flexible. Made sushi rolls with salmon skin instead of seaweed. I loved 'em, but wifey said it was too fishy. [p]Thank you, Chuck, for an excellent method for preparing fish. Next time I have some trout, I'll have to prepare it this way. [p]--Kevin

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Ca-rnivore,[p]Wow thats what I call thrifty, nothing goes to waste. The sushi sounds very interesting (are you reading puppybreath?) I would like to give it a try. What did you roll in the skin besides rice? I assume you scaled the fillet before smoking or had it scaled????? I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. Have a good one.[p]Chuck <><
  • Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Chuck,[p]I used imitation crab, cucumber and carrot slivers for the sushi innards as well as the rice.[p]I can't take credit for the idea of Q'ing the salmon skin, I read about it in one of Raichlens BBq books. I Just thought I'd give it a try.[p]--Kevin

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The filets must have been scaled,
    'cause I checked and there were very few scales attached. I think I only found 3 or 4 on the 6x10 sheet of skin.[p]--Kevin

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Ca-rnivore,
    I have read that salmon skin sushi's one of the most popular varieties of sushi in Japan. Nice crispy skin. Sounds like you made the most of your cook! Sadly, unless I'm VERY careful, the skin usually doesn't come away from the grill in one piece. I'll make a note to try this next time.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Gretl,[p]I used a fish/vegetable tray for my fish. I also used a liberal amount of olive oil to keep the fish from sticking. I still had to coax the skin off off the grate using a spatula and some TLC. My skin was in two sections that were about 4x6inches. I ripped one, but fortunately it was near the edge and I rolled it up so that the rip was inside the sushi roll. It took a little effort, but I thought it was worth it. Give it a try and let us know what you think.[p]-Kevin