Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have an XL. Do I buy Medium or Small?

Options
Bevo
Bevo Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an XL and am ready for a new addition to the family. I'm trying to decide between a medium or a small. Most cooks are for four, and I realize now that the XL is more than I have needed. I have read many posts discussing the capabilities of the small, but since I don't have a large egg it seems the medium might be a good compromise between the large an small.[p]I'll appreciate all suggestions.[p]Thanks,
Bevo (Colin)

Comments

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Bevo,[p]I have an XL also. I added a small this summer and love it. I have a family of 5 and find it perfect to cook burgers for all of us. Many times I cook something simple on it for the kids and follow up with steaks or stuffed porkchops for my wife and me. [p]I decided to get the small because it would be easier to travel with for tailgating and camping.[p]Rollocks

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Bevo,
    I'm really partial to the Large/Small combo. Don't know why a XL/Small combo wouldn't work.
    Fit your needs. I like my 4th and short combo for Arrowhead. 4th was a small and short is my mini. LOL[p]Mike

• Bevo,
    i love my medium. i take it to 4 nascar races a year in the back of the rv. take out the insides, and it's light enuf to carry (for me)[p]click below to see what it can do!

[ul][li]medium egg![/ul]
  • eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    Bevo,
    I too have a XL, and recently purchased a small which I haven't received yet so I don't know if I like it or not. I debated between it and the medium, but felt that the small offered the most versatility...seems to be able to do most things, it is portable, easy and quick to use for small cooks, will use a lot less lump than what I am using in the XL when I just want a quick cook or a steak or two. I guess it all depends on what you are going to use the 2nd one for, and for how many. I cook mostly for 1-2 people, so a small is big enough..if I want to do more than I have the XL. Who knows, may have to get a medium at some point as well.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Bevo,
    I'd vote for the medium. It will do fine for a family of four especially if two of them are growing teen age boys. Under the above circumstances I think you would be pushing the limits of a small.[p]A large, small and mini owner.
    Rich

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Great way to display your stuff!!--Seriously--nice job!![p]DH

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Bevo,[p]I think I have just about every size shape and model known to Kamado history. If I had to give up my small or medium it would be the medium. Frankly though I still use the XL most often regardless of the cook because it always has charcoal in it. The XL half grates are perfect for smaller cooks and it allows you an easy way into the fire.

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Show off ;)
    - when is your restaurant opening dude?[p]So, for one, you still say I should compliment my large with a medium, eh?

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,[p]Why are you getting a second egg at all, that would help us. I bought an XL first and then a medium. But then when the demo eggs were available and I found myself squeezing food on the medium, then finding out BGE would trade in an egg, I traded my med for a LBGE and love it. Unless being mobile is a concern, go bigg, you will NOT notice a difference in lump I bet between a small or medium for most cooks and if you do, so what if it cost an extra 43 cent to cook with it????
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    mb168,[p]Oops, sorry Rich, didn't mean to post on yours...
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Bevo,[p]I realize there is almost a $200 price difference between the two - which I didn't expect.[p]I think it gets down to portability and versatility.[p]If you aren't going to do any traveling, stick with the medium. There are more accessories (IMO) for the medium than the small.[p]Have you looked at the vent door on the small? Geez, might as well use a long bar spoon - the opening is narrow.[p]Sheot - there's the rain... Got my egg covered.[p]I'm thinking of getting a medium for the front of the house and maybe a mini, for the heck of it at some point.[p]I realize everyone likes cooking on the 'even playing field'. So I would think about the TYPE of cooking (direct/indirect) you plan on doing, which is why I think the medium will fit better.[p]For indirect (or, I guess direct as well), it looks like the woo2 is in the works for the medium and the small.[p]
    [ul][li]http://www.eggaccessories.com/shop-script_premium/[/ul]
  • vinnysprimerib-053.jpg
    <p />Jeeves,
    whelp, if you can afford it, i'd get the medium. depends on how much you plan on moving it and what you got to move in in.[p]i take the medium in the front seat of the tahoe sometime

• BYC,
    thanks, mon![p]that was oct 06 thru feb 07 on the medium... 5 months

• Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    Jeeves,[p]My wife and I plan to be at BBQ Outfitters tomorrow when they open at 11:00. We have been hearing ads on the radio about their sale and decided to go see what we can find. We called and asked specifically about BGE products on sale and were told they would be 5% off regular price. Not much, but better than nothing.[p]If you're there we'll get a chance to say hello. I have seen your picture from the Eggtoberfest so I will recognize you. I'll be the (probably unshaven since it's the weekend) guy in the maroon GMC Suburban whose wife has burnt orange hair and whose Vizsla is also burnt orange in color. Do you know if BBQ Outfitters allows dogs inside? If not, we'll be the couple who is taking turns holding our Vizla on her leash outside the store.[p]Hook 'Em Horns,
    Bevo (Colin)