Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baking bread

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a few pics of bread baking up this morning. It's probably something many of you have done before, but for what it's worth ...[p]The bread turned out tasty, but a little bit denser that I would have liked. It is more like a Mexican bolillo than a French bread. Good in its way. I have to figure how to get it in there a little more gently.
[ul][li]Some pictures of bread baking[/ul]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    jjens,[p]Yummy -- nice job on the bread and the use of the stone on firebricks. It inspires me to do bread again --- SOON. I like your recipe too.[p]Tim
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    jjens,
    Read your post with interest, bread is my new endeavor, have yet to try on my egg, having enough trouble in the oven. Think it would be neat to make your own bun's for you own BBQ. This is probably cheating but my best success has been with the Bob's Red Mill mix's. The potato bread is hard to beat. I have signed up for a bread class in Feb. at the Cooks warehouse here in Atlanta, need all the help I can get.
    Mark

• Hey Tim,[p]I was surprised that the bread, baked over charcoal only, had so little wood smoke flavor (none). I guess I'll be trying some apple wood next time (maybe with some oatmeal/maple syrup bread).[p]What woods and temperatures do you use?
  • Hi Mark,[p]I think it is a matter of getting a feel for it, literally. There is a good (springy, not dry, not wet) texture you want for your yeast bread dough. [p]If you have a bread machine, I think the best way to get a handle on it is watch the first minute or two. Pretty soon you'll know what looks right.[p]If you are learning by hand, it probably will be a good idea to see what they do at a class - much easier than trial and error.[p]John

• Tim M
    Options
    jjens,[p]Bread is alot like foul, it absorbs smoke easily so go in small steps adding wood. I don't personally like smokey foul or bread and the slight bit with lump alone is fine for me.[p]Tim
  • There is a place I used to go with a wood-fired oven. I'd just like to get to the place they were - you could identify the source as wood, but that was all. My current lump doesn't give me that.[p]While we're on a bread theme, has anyone cooked directly on the grill? Maybe some flat bread or a focaccia kind of thing?[p]Maybe I'm too hungry to even be talking ... I should go eat something and then come back.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    jjens,[p] Nice job with the pictures, looks great. One question, picture 2 has something under the stone on the lower left corner. Would this be smaller fire bricks underneath as a futher heat sheild for the pizza stone?[p]Earl
  • Tim M
    Options
    jjens,[p]Check out Bdavisons bread recipe --- I had it at Eggfest2001 and it was wonderful. I have yet to do as well at home.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Bdavisons naan bread[/ul]
  • Earl,[p]Yup, I had two half fire bricks under there.