Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Lawn Ranger ~ Woosday Turkey Brine Clarification

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This morning in the Woosday post, I did not justify the 36 hour brine time I mentioned....this was a huge breast, at least 9 pounds or so. Normally I recommend 6 to 24 hours of brine time for the average turkey breast. (and of course starting on the short end if you are sensitive to salt)[p]When I got home tonight, I had a couple of e-mails questioning the time I mentioned. Had I been thinking, I would have made that clear in this mornings post. Just wanted to make sure you or other folks did not use that longer time as the standard and wind up with something too salty.[p]For reference, my flavor brine page is linked below.[p]~thirdeye~[p]BTW, fishing was good, and the turkey was very good too.
[ul][li]Flavor Brining[/ul]
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Michael B
    Options
    1 gallon water
    1 C. kosher salt
    3/4 C. Soy Sauce
    1/2 C. white sugar
    1/2 C. brown sugar
    1/2 C. honey
    1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
    4 Tbsp. chopped garlic
    1 tsp. Allspice
    2 Tbsp. Tenderquick[p]Mix all ingredients and allow to sit in the refrigerator 12 hours. Stir and add meat.
    Alternate: Heat water, salt, and sugars to a rolling boil. Take off burner and add other ingredients. Allow to cool before before placing meat into brine.[p]

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks, My Friend.[p]Mike