Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Le Creuset on egg

Options
Foxy-Q
Foxy-Q Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a cast iron dutch oven that I used on the egg but sometimes it is too small so I was wondering if I could use my Le Creuset larger dutch oven on my egg without messing it up.
Thank you! Foxy-Q[p][p][p]

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Foxy-Q,[p]I do but it might turn it a little black...[p]Or if you have a wally world in your area...you can buy a 7.5 qt..for less than 40 bucks.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Foxy-Q, Mad Max does but I'd be the last to suggest that you follow Max's lead![p]Wrapping a bit of foil around the bottom may keep a bit of smoke away but it will darken the color over time. Of course if you have a dark brown or black (never seen Le Creuset in those colors) there would be no problem.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Foxy-Q,
    i use mine all the time. ..a little hot soapy water and it cleans up just fine .. .. [p]DSCN0175.jpg[p]DSCN0168.jpg[p]DSCN0987.jpg[p]IMG_0120.jpg[p]IMG_0835.jpg[p]DSCN0426.jpg

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Foxy-Q,
    works fine, i dont put the cover with the plastic handle in there though. it cleans up fine but you need to soak it for quite awhile in soapy water. i also have the cheaper enamels found at walmart, bed and bath, marshals etc. ive used lecruiset dutch, braiser, and casserole without problems over a pizza stone with an airspace between stone and pot

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    2004_0115Image0003.jpg
    <p />Wise One,
    the old red ones had a smoke black fade turning to red, it hides alot of the smoke tinge, not sure if they make that color now, they went to straight red for a while

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Wise One,
    Wipe a cloth over the OUTSIDE of your pot with a little soapy water. Makes cleanup of the smokey residue on the outside a breeze.

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Foxy-Q,[p]Why risk it? For $30 you can have a brand new Lodge that you know works with it's lid even and not worry about your expensive one, those things are too much $$$ to damage.
  • mb168
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]What is the 5th one down Max, looks good? Possibly a Giada recipe like lasagna???
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    Foxy-Q,
    I have used one, and like others say, clean up was a little difficult, but it did in fact clean up. I have cooked KennyG's chili in a 12 or 13qt version a time or two... mine is gray, and it did become discolored. I did not use the lid at all. I washed it using a paste mixture of barkeeper's friend cleaner and water - it came clean, looked good as new, but did require some elbow grease. [p]I would have never tried it if it had not been for seeing pic's where Mad Max had used his and having seen that it cleaned up just fine.

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mb168,
    yep, just your standard lasagna . . i like to finish with top layer of sauce instead of cheese (just a dusting of regianno) because cheese picks up more smoke than the sauce will. .. .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mb168,
    what risk? ..as i said below, you may stain it, but you can't damage le creuset on the egg. .. . and yes, the lid handles shouldn't be used over 350 degrees, but i never use my le creuset lids in the egg, for two reasons,[p]1. i want the food to get the benefit of the fire, and
    2. the egg itself retains moisture, so even in a long cook, i don't lose much liquid to evaporation, and if it do, i just simply add a little liquid during the cook. . .[p]

• mb168
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Staub does in black and a few other colors without the plastic handle.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] I use the cruset for stocks and on more than one occasion they have simmered dry during the night and I've ended up with a real mess. I use one part each Oxy clean powder, citrus cleaner (Zep from Home Depot) and regular dish soap. Soak with this and hot water overnight or repeat if really bad and clean with a dish cloth. They come up like new. Same on the outside with smoke stains.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I seldom post messages, but I always enjoy your posts and especially your photos. This photo prompts a question: Where is the bottle of Sam Adams Lager?[p]Best wishes,
    Colin (Bevo)