Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with a MILD chilly recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey fellow Eggers, I need some help with a recipe. My mother in law passed away one year ago this month. My father in law has been adjusting slowly. They were married for 51 years and during those years he has not done much, if any, cooking. So it has been a challenge for him to learn to cook, especially from scratch. My wife and I cook for him when ever possible but with both of us working, it's difficult. Anyway, he loves chilly. He has been having canned chilly and says that they are to hot (spicy) for him. My mother in law made chilly for him but the recipe was never written down. What I need is a recipe for a very mild (cool)chilly. If I can make it on the Egg thats great but stove top would be okay to. He loves beef and pork. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    RickB,[p]Go to the store and get him one of the Caroll Shelby packages all pretty easy. Just don't add the extra hot spice package.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    RickB,[p]I just e-mailed you a favorite recipe of ours. The lady we got it from has also passed away. She entered it for three consecutive years at her annual office party, and won blind tastings all three years before she died. It's quite mild. The only source of heat might come from the chili powder, but it's not much. Hope it works.
  • RickB, Do a web search for "Wild Card Chili". Halve the amount of chili powder and add some sweet, red, roasted peppers (along with their juices) and you'll have something that's truly delicious. I've been doing this one for years![p]Rascal

• RickB,[p]Here is the Wild Card. Enjoy.[p]Chili, Wild Card
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb Chopped beef
    1/2 cup Chopped onion
    1 16 Ozs Can Red beans
    1 16 Ozs Can Refried beans
    1 8 Ozs Can Tomato sauce
    1 cup Water
    1 tsp Chopped hot red peppers
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Garlic salt
    1/8 tsp Pepper
    1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
    3 Tbs Chili powder
    1 Tbs Molasses

Procedure:
    1 Brown beef with onions in a Dutch oven; pour off fat.
    2 Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat
    [p]

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    RickB,
    First, find out what he is calling spicy. My wife can't tolerate green peppers and when we first got married and I cooked something with that in it, she always got indigested. But she could eat chili peppers with no ill effect. It may be that the chili is too spicy/hot for him, but may just be that his system reacts to something in the chili other than heat. Take some spices and let him smell them and see what he doesn't care for. It just might save both of you a lot of heartburn later on. My 2 cents.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]
    could you email it to me please...[p]My father n law loves chile but Mine is too spicy..[p]TIA

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    RickB,[p]I like the I Hate to Cook Cookbook Chili for chili 'civilians'-[p]1 lb meat
    1 can tomato soup
    1 can chili beans (mild for you)
    1 sm chopped onion
    1 T chili powder (+/- to taste)[p]Brown meat and onions with salt and pepper to taste. Combine rest of ingredients -simmer.[p]source Peg Bracken "I Hate to Cook Cookbook"

• Smoke Diver
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Please email the recipe to me as well. Or, it might be easier to post if you have many requests.[p]Thanks.[p]Smoke Dive
    Smoke Diver
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]I would appreciate a copy also.[p]Tanks In Advance, Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Rick,[p]What follows is long and looks complicated, when in fact it is very simple and once completed you will a great basic chili which can be expanded if one wants to play around.[p]Chili comes in a lot of different tastes, texture, beans, no beans, soupy or dry (stew texture) and on and on. It would help if you described what you remember of the chili you are looking for.[p]Being married for that long I would suspect you FIL is looking for the chili your MIL cooked for memories sake. We have been through the same situation with my mom and dad.[p]Let’s see if we can figure out something that will taste good and possibly bring back those memories for your FIL[p]Staggs original is a good tasting simple mild tasting chili.[p]Basic chili is pretty simple and you can fine tune from there. There are two (probably more) types of chili powder dark (a little bitter & hotter) and light (not as hot as dark)[p]Richards recipe looks pretty interesting but for now simplify it a little then add extras as desired.[p]1/2 lb Chopped beef
    1 - 16 Ozs Can Pinto beans – drain and rinse any type bean you use (seen additional notes below)
    1 - 18 Ozs Can diced tomatoes
    2 Tbs Chili powder
    ½ tsp Garlic minced powder (garlic powder tends to lump but will work fine)
    ½ tsp Cumin
    1 bay leaf (toss when chili is done)
    ½ tsp Salt (see note below)
    ¼ tsp Pepper (med grind if possible but not important)
    1 tsp onion powder[p]If the chili is to thick/dry add some water in small amounts[p]Instructions:
    Lightly salt a frying pan and brown the ground beef (if he likes more meat then go to a pound if he likes less then go to ¼ pound ground beef)
    Salt and pepper the ground beef until it tastes good (this is important). If you decide to add onion then make sure the onion is somewhat cooked.[p]In a cooking pan, add the ground beef (and grease). I use lean ground beef and all the grease. If there is a huge amount of grease then reserve some for possible use later.
    Add the diced tomatoes and bring to very light boil.
    Add the remainder of the seasoning and stir will.
    Add beans and bring back to temp[p]Now for the fine tuning and finding the taste you want.
    With this small of a batch the flavor will change quickly. Keep in mind the chili will get hotter as it sits in fridge for left over’s.[p]Lets see what we have at this point. Taste the liquid only during this process. [p]If the seasonings are too strong on the first taste then add another can on diced tomatoes (you will also need another can of pinto beans to equal the tomatoes) At this point add the tomatoes only.[p]Assuming there is no strong seasoning tastes (over seasoned).[p]If the chili flavor is too little add more chili powder (only ½ tsp at a time). Stir and let simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Re-taste.[p]Taste again. If OK move on.[p]Smell the cumin powder in the package. Then taste the chili liquid. You will be able to tell if you need to add more cumin or not. I like a good cumin flavor. Add ¼ tsp at a time as needed. A little goes a very long way.[p]Check for garlic, for me this should be very light and not really able to recognize a garlic presents. A little goes a long way add in 1/8 tsp increments and stir well before retaste[p]Check for onion flavor, if more is needed add ¾ to 1 tsp at a time. Bring to taste[p]Now for heat of the chili. The light chili powder will bring flavor but not so much heat. Add black pepper ½ to 1 tsp and recheck. If there isn’t enough heat then begin to add red pepper or cayenne pepper powder. These last two peppers will bring heat up fast. Chopped red pepper is a great flavor but it brings the heat up fast.[p]By adding chili powder and black pepper we can get a great flavor and a good bead of sweat on the foreheads of people without burning the mouths.[p]Remember to taste the liquid only until things are tasting pretty good then do an overall taste for final results.[p]Additional notes:
    . Pinto beans / Chile beans – it doesn’t matter what type of beans you use make sure you rinse & drain completely. Once you have the taste you want then use pinto/kidney/black beans. Three beans makes great texture and looks very great.[p]. Salt - If you are not getting the flavor changes you think you should be getting then add salt – salt ‘pops’ the flavor out. Personally I use as little as salt as possible then let people add the s&p to their taste after serving.[p]. Make sure you have a sheet of paper to write down everything you add. Then when you have a good result you will be able to repeat it with very little changes.[p]. Add very small amount of oregano (1/8 tsp) as it will bring a good flavor to the chili – you don’t want to be able to taste the oregano. Also, this is bitter and can be sweetened up by adding small amount of sugar if needed[p]With these simple ingredients you are able to make a lot of different tastes. Once you get something you like than from there add the ingredients and recommended by others.[p]I cook huge batches of the above and always have requests for more and people are wanting to take home anything that has not been eaten.[p]
    My best, Kent[p]