Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg owner setup idea

Options
ravnhaus
ravnhaus Posts: 311
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
egg.JPG
<p /> As I received my medium egg yesterday my experiance is minimumal at best. I went looking for fire bricks today and had no luck although I did pick up 14" grill on close out. I went home and dug through the shed and came up with a water pan out of an old smoker. Placed it in the egg grill and the new grill fit perfect on top of the pan.
Does anyone see any potential problem with this setup? I figured it would catch grease and put a little more indirect heat on the meat. I will continue my seach for firebricks however.
The chicken turned out fine after my first experiance last night even though I was having trouble keeping the fire hot (not enough lump). Thanks for your response to my earlier post.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    I guess it would work, but personally I like a more airspace below my main grate and the drip pan. Have you seen some of the setups using bolts and washers to extend the top grate? This is nice because you can use a shallow drip pan underneath, and allow plenty of airflow around your meal. The BGE extended grate is also nice, as the legs are built in.[p]Hopefully someone will link you up to some photos of the bolt/washer setup.[p]'Appy 'Olidays!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />ravnhaus,
    Here is a couple of pictures of the grate i made for my small egg.
    Larry

[ul][li]Grate Detail[/ul]