Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When do you mop a butt or a brisket?

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on doing a pulled pork this weekend, and right after the butt comes off, a 12 pound brisket is going on. I figure the combination of the two will be about a 40 - 48 hour cook. [p]But here is the deal. The wife is mixing up a different variety of sauces, like Elder Ward's vinegar sauce, a sweet BBQ sauce, and the "tangy" Southern Dreams BBQ sauce. But I like to take some of that Southern Dreams and mop the butt and the brisket while it's on the egg. Now, I figure the only time I can do that, is AFTER they get past the plateau on the internal temp, say . . about 170 - 180*.[p]The plan is do both indirect over a water-filled drip pan inside an inverted plate setter that is sitting on the fire ring. Now, since mopping requires the ultimate sacrilige - lifting the lid, what's best way I should go about it? Should I wrap it in foil after the first mop? How often should I mop? What should have the temp at while I mop? Or should I even bother to mop at all.[p]Let me know your thoughts. I'm still a relative novice who has cooked both one pulled pork and one brisket, which both turned out great, thanks to the fine folks here.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DavidR,
    No need to mop. If your cook is speeding along, and you want to mop, do so during the last 2 hours. I normally just let it ride, but last time I was ahead of schedule, and decided to spritz with apple juice every 15 minutes for the last 2 hours. I liked the results of a slight sweet glaze. Open and close the lid quickly, and, though it will slow your cook down a tad, it should not hurt anything.[p]Some thoughts!
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    DavidR,
    Nature Boy, as usual, gives excellent advice. I usually spray on cider or apple juice per his advice, and then mop with a mix of cider and finishing sauce at the last 15 minutes.