Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Finally, the Brunswick Stew is ready for Halloween

mb168mb168 Posts: 265
edited 4:24PM in EggHead Forum

BrunswickStew1.jpg</a>
[p]I started a butt at 5:30PM Monday and when it was done yesterday I wrapped it up and threw the chicken pieces on the egg, then pulled it all last night.[p]At noonish today I started the stew and it's been simmering ever since. The wife thought it was a little warm, too many "dashes" of Hell's Fury and cayenne for her taste, so I had to add a little more of everything else, thats why it's close to the top after eating a bowl but I'm pretty pleased at my first attempt at Brunswick stew, much less on the egg. I used the recipe on the forum here except for the Hell's Fury. I had several recipes given to me that called for using cans of Castleberrys meat but the egg smoked butt and chicken is the ticket, worth the labor.

Comments

• Foxy-QFoxy-Q Posts: 28
    mb168,
    Looks wonderful. Whould you mind sharing the recipe?
    Thanks,
    Foxy-Q

• mb168mb168 Posts: 265
    Foxy-Q,[p]I followed the recipe here on the forum (with one spice change) but here it is;[p]Basic Georgia style Brunswick Stew[p]Ingredients:
    • 2 Cup Barbecued Pork - Chopped
    • 2 Cup Cooked chicken - Chopped
    • 1 Cup Barbecue Sauce
    • 2 Tbs Butter
    • 2 Cup Crushed Tomatoes
    • Whorcestershire Sauce
    • 1 Cup Onions - Chopped
    • Cayenne Pepper Sauce (I used cayenne powder and Hells Fury Habanero Hot Sauce)
    • 1 Can 10 oz can White Corn
    • ¼ tsp Salt & Black Pepper
    • 1 tsp Garlic - Finely Chopped [p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • Slow cook a Boston Butt for the barbecued pork and chop. 1+/- lb. = 2 cups. Do not chop too fine, about the size of your thumb nail.
    • Cook the chicken, it can be grilled, boiled, broiled or fried (I used the egg). A small hen is about 2-½ cups. Do not chop too fine. (I used thighs, legs, and wings)[p]
    Cooking Directions:
    • Melt butter in a Dutch Oven (cast iron are best).
    • Add onions and cook till tender, then add the garlic, tomatotes and corn.
    • Simmer 5 minutes.
    • Add pork and chicken.
    • Cover and simmer slowly for 1 hour.
    • Add salt and black pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, Cayne Pepper Sauce to taste and Barbecue Sauce.
    • If mixture is too thick add a small amount of water (beer works fine).
    • Taste.
    • Adjust seasonings if necessary.