Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0021_small.JPG
<p />What a great way to start a day - 5am and a 5 lb pile of "to be" Jerky is on the BGE. [p]Life is GOOD! :~}
[ul][li]Beef Jerky[/ul]

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Man you really have my mouth watering now Gfw. I was thinking about smoking some jerky last night as I was smoking that sausage. I have a whole 11 pound brisket in the freezer already sliced for jerkey, all I have to do is thaw it and marinade it and its ready to go. Thanks for the nudge, I think it will hit the egg this weekend. Did you use your standard recipe? I use it as a base but have kicked it up a bit to satisfy the spicy likes of the family. Looks good and thanks for the early am pics to start the day.[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    Options
    sprinter, actually the recipe is closed to NB's variation of my original recipe - I think. Anyway, I did the same thing - the brisket has been sliced and frozen for about a week - started the marinate last night. I have an 8 lb Boston Butt that will go on Friday evening! :~} [p]Recipe...
    Soy Sauce: 3/4 cup
    Dark Brown Sugar: 3/4 cup
    Dark Molasses: 1/4 cup
    Worchester: 1/4 cup
    Garlic Powder: 2 tsp
    Onion Powder: 2 tsp
    Black Pepper: 2 tsp
    Jerk Seasoning: 3 tsp
    Hot Chili Sesame Oil - 2 tbsp
    Szechwan Sauce - 3 tbsp

• Gfw,
    How long did you cook the Jerky? Do you find the times vary based on the cut of meat? Do you need to keep the Jerky cold since you have not cured the meat?

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Gfw,
    Curing the meat is not needed? I've done two batches of jerkey and they both were used following a recipe on a box of curing, spices and such. Is there a difference in results? Looks great. How often do you turn the meat?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Gfw
    Options
    Wardster, I don't cure the meat - never have. What I typically do is make one big trip to the butcher shop and buy lots. When I return I'll slice up the brisket for jerky and freeze it, cut up the steak for the chili and freeze it, cut up the chicken wings and freeze them - I think you get the picture.[p]I typically try to marinate jerky for about 12 to 18 hours before popping it on the grill. I've done some for as little as 12 hours and as many as 24 hours - somewhere along the way, I settled on the 12 hour marinate.[p]The jerky (and it almost is) has been on for about 7 hours at 190 degrees and appears to be getting close. I've turned it about ever 1.5 hours - or when I take a little piece for a snack.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    Mack, I keep it in a plastic bag - never had to refigerate - it doesn't last that long. There have been times when I have made a batchabout every 10 days.[p]About the only cut that I use anymore is brisket. Typical cooking time at 180-200 degrees is about 8-10 hours.