Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody cover brisket in sugar overnight?

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, all,[p]A local market got some nice packers in the other day, something of a rarity, so I figured it was time to give brisket another try. So far I've tried rubbing just before, and rubbing and/or marinading the night before. The results have been O.K., but nothing special. So I'm fishing for different approaches.[p]I've come across a few mentions of covering the brisket with sugar overnight, wiping it off in the morning, and then rubbing. [p]Anyone tried that? What did it do to the brisket? I figure that it would draw moisture to the surface, and maybe leave some residue that would carmelize nicely. Anything else?[p]Thanks for any comments
gdenby

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    gdenby,[p]Check with Car Wash Mike....[p]He's done that many times and can give you the 411 on how it does or doesn't work!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    gdenby,
    That is the only way I do mine anymore. I apply rub, white sugar put in a covered container overnight. The next day the sugar will be gone. Add more rub. Cook and enjoy. You really can't taste the sugar, but I was told it starts to break the brisket down.[p]Mike

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Seconded. I have used turbinado and white sugar interchangeably and noticed no difference.[p]It makes for a really nice bark.[p]I agree, this is the only way I do brisket now.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Fidel,
    i third third that commotion. .. i always sugar the brisket in advance. . always do it at competition as well. ...

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've got the sugar, got the brisket. Looking forward to tomorrow's cook.[p]gdenby

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    gdenby,[p]I have a buddy that cooks more brisket in a day than most cook in a year..and he has some great brisket..[p]His trick is to use equal parts of surgar and smokey paprika.. cover the brisket with the mix...[p]put in fridge overnight and in the morning...take the brisket out and put your rub on ...back in fridge till you need it and then more rub right before you throw it on the pit or egg...[p]