Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Harry Potter

Options
sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There were two big plans for today. Do a brisket and go see Harry Potter after the kids got out of school. It's a nearly 3 hour movie, so I wanted to start the brisket late enough to be sure it wouldn't finish before we got home, but early enough so that it finishes before midnight.[p]I decided to start it at 1pm. My cooks commonly go faster than those posted here, so this seemed safe. Left for the movie at 2:30pm, with the dome temp at 215, and the internal meat temp at 88. Came home just now, and at 7:30pm dome temp is 225, and meat temp is 170. Seems like it's moving along perfectly. I've yet to open the lid, but I probably will in about 2 hours, to spritz with some apple juice.[p]This is only my second attempt at brisket. The first one, though others liked it, I thought wasn't that great. And for the effort, it only yielded about 6 servings. It all seemed to be fat, with no meat. Looking at the raw product this time around, it would appear that I've got a better piece of meat to start with, so I'm anxious to get a better result.[p]I should not this is my lowest dome temp, this late in a cook ever. Temps in Phoenix dropped 10 degrees during the week, and I'm looking forward to more truly low and slow cooks.[p]--sdb

Comments

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    My second attempt at brisket seems to really have turned out well. My concerns about it completing during the movie were unnecessary, as it didn’t complete until 6:30am this morning. Meat temp was 204 when I took it off. That’s a 17.5 hour cook, my personal best, if you will, for low and slow. Dome temp hit a max of only 250 the entire cook, even when I attempted to coax it higher at about 4am this morning. The cooler weather really changes my approach to vent settings, and makes it much easier to achieve a good low and slow cook.[p]Lunch anyone?[p]--sdb