Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first week with my egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I've had the egg for one week now. I've done 4 cooks. Chicken Breast (ok), Turkey burgers (ok) Chicken breast again (much better) and a T rex'ed NY Strip (very good).[p]On the first two cooks, the temp was moving around a bit and I had a flame reaching the meat. The second round of chicken came out great. Very moist. The NY strip was good too. For the last two cooks, I seem to have temperature control down.[p]I've basically been grilling. I am going to do my first low and slow this weekend. Not sure what yet but so far, I am loving my egg.[p]Oh, I got my first "You got a BGE? when are we coming over for dinner?" comment!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    HungryNephew,[p]The taste of the food is reward enough, but comments like "Those ribs were as good as any I've had from a restaurant," or "That was the best rib-eye I've had in a long time, and in 90 second, too" make for the biggest smiles.[p]FWIW, it took me a couple months to get the hang of a really steady fire. Maybe try something quicker, like ribs for a first lo-n-slo.[p]gdenby
  • Bob In Texas
    Options
    HungryNephew, man your a way ahead of me. I've proudly told my neighbors I got myself a BGE,and all I get is a blank look, and a "Duh, whats that".

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Bob In Texas,[p] Tell him.. It's big, it's green and it looks like an egg. Then leave him to think about it.[p] Eventually he'll come to realize that great smell coming from next door is food cooked on the "What's That".[p]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    HungryNephew,[p] Welcome to the cult err.. club. One of the easiest Lo 'n' Slow cooks is pulled pork. It is every forgiving..[p]Elder Wards recipe is in the recipe section of this forum and you can use this link as a reference[p]Pulled Pork[p]
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]That's funny! When people give me the "Duh, what's that" look, that's exactly what I tell them. It's big, green and shaped like and egg.[p]Cheers,
    Braddog

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    HungryNephew,[p]Here's an idea I toss out every so often. [p]When I first got my Egg one of 'really old timers' on this forum suggested building my fire and cooking nothing. Playing with the lower vent first and with the daisy wheel next. I did it twice and learned very quickly how to control the air flow therefor, the temperature. Some may think I'm a little nutty but it worked for me.[p]You're not under the gun to produce food for any one. You can't screw up a meal. And you can have a bunch of cold ones while you practice. I put the rain cap on a few times and checked out how fast the temp dropped. How fast the fire actually went our and how to survive having the hair burnt off of my arm belly plus a few other things we won't talk about! Try it it will not be a waste of lump and you learning curve will be much shorter.
  • Sundown,[p]That's a pretty good idea for a newbie! I have temp control down now thanks to a few blackend (the bad way) chicken breasts!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Sundown,[p] For they record we do not THINK you are nutty.. We Know!![p]However this is a good idea :)[p]
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    HungryNephew,
    Thats my little Nephew. Following in the footsteps of his uncle.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    HungryMan,[p] next you know he'll be making T-Shirts!!
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    He's to smart to get into that mess. I wont let my kids follow my profession. I wont let my nephew start my side-profession. But I will let him drive me to the Eggfest.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I take my meds. Maybe the rest of the cult should do the same. Hehehehe
  • HungryMan,[p]
    Criminals would not stand a chance with your younger daughter wearing a badge!

• HungryMan
    Options
    hungryNephew,
    I don't stand a chance with her.