Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg disassembly question

Options
Mayberry Smoker
Mayberry Smoker Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I got my lg egg back in Jan. and put it together, I took the little clips off that hold the lid together and put them up so I wouldn't lose them. I'm getting ready to take my egg apart to put it in the cart and I can't find where I put the clips ( I think my wife or boys moved them on me ). Can I use some zip ties or something like that to hold the spring together, is there a special way of doing it. I know after I get it put back together I'll walk back in the garage and the clips will be laying right there on the workbench. I'm really not that upset about it because I just thought, I'm only 43 and next Easter it sounds like I'll be able to hide my own Easter eggs and then try to find them.
P.S. How many started to smile when I said I put them up so I wouldn't lose them because you knew what was coming next.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Mayberry Smoker, don't feel too bad. I found four of those little clips today and tried to show someone how they can be reused. I can figure it out, If you are just talking about moving the EGG from its nest into a cart, you probably don't need to do anything. I moved two yesterday from a nest to the back of my car and and then back into the nest today. We never worried about the clips. I would suggest pulling the firebox and firering out before moving it. It makes it a LOT lighter.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mayberry Smoker,
    The clips are intended to keep the hinge from flying open when you remove the dome, etc. So all you really need to do is tie the two handles together and it will accomplish the same thing. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    Mayberry Smoker,
    the springs can be pried off with a screwdriver easily using it as a lever off the side of the hinge. it only takes a few seconds once you figure where to pry from.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it