Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crock pot recipes used in Dutch oven?

Options
jbrodie
jbrodie Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got caught up in the Dutch oven posts and I am about to buy one. Anyone know if slow cooking in a crock pot would be the same as 250* indirect in the egg? Are recipes for crock pots usable in Dutch oven in the egg? Would cooking times be about the same? Any info is appreciated as I would hate to waste time and food. Anyone know where there are recipes posted for Dutch ovens specifically used in the BGE. Had no luck using the search. Thanks, Jim.

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    jbrodie,
    Just my opinion and it is usually not held with much regard here, but I was a dutch oven cooker a long time before I had my egg. When it comes to dutch oven cooking on the egg, the egg is nothing more than a hea source. Anything you could cook elsewhere in a dutch oven should be able to be cooked on a egg with no changes in recipe or results.
    Tom

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    jbrodie,
    i dont get caught up with dome temps when using a dutch oven in the egg, the steam makes the dome temp a little inconsistant. what you want to watch for is the type of simmer going on and adjust from there, start the cook at 325 and watch to see how hard a simmer you get and then make your adjustments. i dont like tomatoes in a seasoned cast iron and used the enamalled types and earthen bean pots, i remember someone using the liner to a crock pot before as well

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    jbrodie,[p]Most crock pots reach a top temperature of 180. If you are cooking meals that have meat in them, a slow cooker will not produce a "meaty" flavor, because that is produced by reactions at temperatures above 220. If you use a Dutch oven at any temperature, as long as there is fluid, you will at most boil/braise the food and produce much the same result as a crock pot, but quicker.[p]A Dutch Oven really is useful in the Egg if you cook meat till it gets nicely browned, direct or indirect, and then plop them into the oven. You can also get the Dutch oven hot, and sautee' the meat, onions, etc in it, and then proceed to add fluids for stewing.[p]Dutch ovens also work really nicely for big batches of mac-n-cheese.[p]gdenby

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    jbrodie,
    i got caught up in the dutch oven thread as well. since i don't have a wife i was able to use the heavy aluminun stock pot and not get in trouble. set pot down on the versagrate.. 350 to bring to a boil, 325 worked well to simmer... made up the recipe.
    1 qt each wegmans veg. stock and chicken stock, meat from 1 left over 'egged' corning hen, 3 small chorizo sausages sliced, couple potatos cut up, 3 carrots and 3 celery stalks cut up teaspoon old bay blackened about the same of penzys crab and shrimp simmer 2 hours in the egg uncovered and then added 2 handfuls frozen raw shrimp. cooked til shrimp was done. everyone liked it. it had a little heat from the sausages.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    jbrodie,[p]I am a relative new egger, but a long time dutcher...[p]I was concerned about cooking dutch on the egg or even having the desire to.[p]I got the old dutch oven out and seasoned them on the egg, worked perfect, then made something simple, stew. The only thing different I did was not to use the dutch oven lid, thus have to be more mindful of the liquid.[p]Then a a pot roast, that was incredible. Simple to use and work with. [p]Do not hesitate using a dutch oven in the egg or you will miss out on a great treat.[p]I think anything cooked on the stove or in the oven or crock pot can be accomplished on the egg.[p]If you don't have a duth oven, I would think about getting a wide type oven maybe not even a cast iron. I need to do some tests. I am thinking of a Le Crueuset 'dutch oven'. Lodge has them but it looks like the Lodge is the same as the Le Crueset, but private labeled.[p]I found it important to brown the roast on all sides. I removed the meat and browned the onions, potatoes and carrots. Then put the roast on top of the veggies and added more liquid. The browing of the meat and starting the vegies was done directly on the coals then i put the grid on and finished the cook at grid level @ 300° - simmer not boil. After 2 hours I turned the meat and left it for another 2 hours. I tested and decided it needed to cook longer. It ended up being a 6 hour cook. I removed the meat and foil tented. Removed the vegies and covered them. Put the oven back down to coals and made the gravy from the liquid.[p]This made a fantastic dinner, great second day dinner and the following days fantastic roast beef sandwhichs.[p]Frankly I liked it as well or better than a great brisket I did.[p]Good cookin, Kent
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    jbrodie,
    Any crock pot recipe should be able to be adapted to a dutch oven. Its half the fun experimenting. Take the cover off to infuse some of the smoky goodness into your food, making a true egging eggsperience. I have made beens in my dutch oven, I am thinking I should make some beef stew here pretty soon. hmmm... or maybee some fish chowder, or some chili, or a pot roast, or some shepards pie, or some pea soup. Oh I am making myself hungry. [p]Pdub

• bill,[p]Sounds goooood.
  • Thanks for the responses, these will help me get started with the Dutch oven. I have had my BGE for several years and it will be fun to try something new. Jim.