Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining a turkey breast / questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello brine masters of the fourm; I will be mixing a brine solution in the ratio of 1 cup coarse kosher salt to 1 gallon of water, and throw in a few herbs.I am planing to soak a turkey breast for about 24 hours.QUESTIONS...Will it taste salty after cooking? Should i boil the water to dissolve the salt,{and then chill it down before adding turkey of course}? Is my cup of salt to gallon of water ratio about right? This is my first shot at this brining thing. Thanks to all who reply.

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    GaryJ, You're right on targetwith ratios. I usually simmer or boil to infuse the herb flavor to the brine, then cool and add bird. A quicker way is to heat salt and herbs in smaller liquid amount and then add cold water to this to get your gallon. It avoids long cool down period before adding meat. Just rinse your turkey inside and out well with fresh water after brining and all will be well. I don't usually add additional salt when cooking...Painter
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    GaryJ, Thanks to Gretl of this forum (she's a big mucky-muck educator in the world of food) I have used her very simple recommendation several times for turkey breasts of 3/4 c kosher salt + 3/4 c dark brown sugar and 3/4 gallon of water. As you already know it has to be dissolved and cooled first. As for your additional herbs and spices that is your call! A rinising? yes you gotta do that!!!
    We all learn something new and that previous hint about liquidifing the stuff first in a smaller container makes so much sense!
    Good luck..BTW I'm doing a 7# turkey breast myself this Sunday ala Gretl 8^)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.