Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Scallops and Sausage and Peppers

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, everyone. I'm thinking of cooking some bacon wrapped scallops and some of Jobu's sausage and peppers for an upcoming tailgate. [p]Does anyone have any good recipes/techniques for the scallops that would work well on a Small or Mini BGE? I know djm5x9 has a fantastic picture of the end result, but I've never seen the recipe. I'm assuming at a minimum it contains bacon and scallops, and I could probably wing it, but I was wondering if anyone has a good step by step recipe/technique.[p]Also, anyone have any ideas for the basket portion of Jobu's sausage and peppers on a small or mini? Or should I simply cook them in a foil pan?[p]For tailgating dessert, I'm thinking of doing this recipe I saw on another site for candy bar stuffed baked apples. This one looks amazing, and I'll share the location of the recipe, along with proper credit, with anyone interested.[p]Thanks,
Cornfed

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I've done the sausage and peppers many times in a large.
    It's excellent. I don't think it would be as good cooked in a foil pan. They would be laying in the juices. I cook them in a basket.
    B D

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Use sea scallops, they're larger. Drain and marinate in 1/2 cup white wine, 2 Tbsp honey and 2 Tbsp soy sauce for at least 2 hours. Wrap each in a slice of center cut bacon, and skewer them. Place em over 400 degree fire and drizzle any leftover marinade around the edge of the burning coals. Let em go about 4 minutes before turning, do the other side 4 more minutes and turn a couple more minutes on each side if needed until the bacon crisps up. Get twice as much as you think you'll need because 1/2 of em will wind up in your mouth before they hit the serving tray.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    scallops2.jpg
    <p />Cornfed:[p]Season/marinate the scallops as you like. Pre-cook the bacon - really just melt some of the fat out - so it is still limp so you can wrap the scallops. Grill till done over 400º dome fire being carefull not to over cook. Let us know how they turn out.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Never done scallops but it works great with shrimp wrapped in bacon. Email me if you want more details.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I have had tremendous results marinading peppers in italian dressing before grilling them in a basket. The pan will not provide the same results. You can cook the sausages on the sides of the basket while the veggies are cooking. This is one of my favorites.
    Good Luck

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Thanks for the great ideas, everyone. I'll let everyone know how things turn out...and hopefully have some pics.[p]Later,
    Cornfed