Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken parts- direct or indirect?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a fryer cut up and marinating in tandoori paste right now, and am a little unsure how I should cook them in the egg. I have seen recipes that recommend direct and indirect. Any advice? I would like to cook them right on the grill but I'm concerned about burning and excessive smoke from dripping fat. [p]How do you guys cook your chicken pieces? I need temps and times too![p]Thanks,
Skooter

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Skooter,
    I cook pieces both direct and indirect. Direct at 300 or so, flipping every 15 for about an hour, or indirect at 400 for about the same time. Direct is a little smokier, but still very nice. Indirect you only need to flip once about half way through. Careful with the breasts, as once internal meet temp gets much past 170, they begin drying.[p]Direct is not too smokey as long as you trim off the big globs of fat.[p]Hope that helps. Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Thanks! Wow you BGE posters are quick with the responses! I think I might go indirect for the tandoori this time.[p]BTW, it's nice to see Mac users on this site. Are you running OSX yet?[p]Skooter

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Skooter,
    Just sitting here watching my Redskins. I am poised and ready to strike![p]No OSX yet. I have learned to stay clear of new OS's for a while. My business depends on all of my software working properly, and I like to wait until a new OS has been around a while. I used OS 7.5 until 9.04 came out. Everything works like a charm right now. I am sticking with what I have for a while. You??[p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BillB
    BillB Posts: 26
    Options
    Skooter, I love grilled chicken pieces on the egg. I do them direct at 350, turning at 20 minute intervals, saucing and flipping the last 10 minutes or so, for a total cook time of 1 hr.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Tsk tsk tsk. When will you Mac users see the light and move to a real OS??? Red Hat Linux 7.2 was just released last week, and you can get it for cheap on CD (~$39) or download if for free (esp if you're on cable or dsl) or get a CD with no documentation for super cheap from cheapbytes.com.[p]Just kidding. I defintely agree to each his own with regards to OS's. I like Linux for its use of open standards, stability, support out of the box for a variety of programming languages and development server environments, and its basic geek value. I know most graphics people I know are into Macs. As long as it's not a M$ product, you're fine :)[p]Just kidding...I know many who enjoy the ease of use out of the box of Windows...just have to take some pot shots at Mr. Gates...[p]Redskins are kicking some tail today...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I agree with you. Keep the temps below 350 or you get some mean grease fires as the wings start dripping fat - grease. If that happens - I do the rest of the cook with a closed vent and open dome since I hate the taste of grease fires on food -- YUCK.[p]
    Tim

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Please buy more -- my Redhat stock is not well!! I should have sold it at over $100 per share. It's under $5 now -- just shoot me![p]Tim
  • Nature Boy,[p]I'm running 9.6 on my Mac at work. I have been eying 10.1 since it looks solid, but since all my apps are legacy I would get a slight decrease in performance by switching right now. Hurry up with your OSX apps Adobe![p]I run WinXP on my 3D workstation, and as much as it hurts for an old-school Mac guy like me to admit, WinXP is a fantastic operating system. No joke. Not as pretty as Aqua, but rock stable and very usable.[p]The Tandoori turned out great BTW. 45 minutes indirect on my setter at 350, then a few minutes direct to brown the chicken a little more. Delicious- I had to bring some over to the neighbors since I subjected them to that wonderful smell. Thanks for the advice.[p]-Skooter
  • Cornfed,[p]Even though I was anti-MS through most of my Macintosh years, I have to point out that WinXP is probably the best new operating system experience I've had. Easy to install, great user experience, reliable and secure. MS has been doing quite a bit right lately.[p]Plus the XBox is coming out in a couple of weeks... drool... Video games and grilling are my two greatest obsessions. I keep suggesting to my friends who work in the game industry to make a grilling game, but they all think I'm crazy. But I'll show them. I'll show them ALL.[p]Mwa ha ha[p]