Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with pork

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The butt's are done (155°) and I have 1 1/2 hours until eatin time. lbge grid at 220°[p]I can pull the meat, foil and wrap in a cooler.[p]OR [p]I can leave the meat and cook for anothger 1 1/2 hours and go for pulled pork sandwichs.[p]I am not sure if I can get to a pulled pork point in 1 1/2 hours or if I would ruin the meat if I kicked up the temp to get up to and through the plateau to the sandwhich point.[p]Any thought, suggestions would be appreciated.[p]Thanks in advance, Kent

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    if the are butts at 155, you'll be slicing, not pulling.[p]if you want pulled pork, you can get away with it at 185 or so. 195/200/205 is better

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,[p]Wrapping the butt in foil and ramping up the pit temp will make it cook faster. If that is what you are going for.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    stike,[p]I am wondering if I can get throught the plateau and up to 185° (or more preferably 200°) in an hour and a half.[p]I could jack the temp up but don't want to ruin the meat.[p]Thanks, Kent
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,[p]If you do not get that butt above 170 it will be rather fatty and somewhat greasy.[p]Follow thirdeye's advice. At 170 you can pull it, but it will be difficult. If you want the pull pork style I'd chop it, otherwise service it sliced.[p]
  • Mike,[p]I still have 1 1/2 hour to cook. How would this turn out if I cranked the heat to get up to those higher temps in my time frame.[p]I am going to have a lot of grandkids here and I think they would enjoy the sandwhiches.[p]With that said, I would rather slice than ruin the meat trying to get to the higher temps too quickly.[p]Thank you, Kent[p]
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    thirdeye,

See follow up question under Mike's response.[p]Thank you, Kent

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Gandpas Grub,[p] Foil it and bump it up to 325-350. If in the next hour you get above 180-185 internal then pull it. If it does not reach that temp slice it.[p]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Gandpas Grub,[p]Unless you think the color/bark is going to get away from you, I doubt you will ruin it. Raising the pit temp alone will raise the internal temp, but foiling & raising the pit temp will do it faster and should take the internal higher in the same amount of time.[p]The foil will also protect the color/bark.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    thirdeye & Celtic Wolf,[p]Thank you, the bark is perfect right now. I am oging to foil and ramp the temp up & see if I can reach the higher temps.[p]I very much appreciate the help with this.[p]I seem to be able to get pretty good cooks, however, my timing is always in the sh*tter.[p]Again, thank you, Kent[p]

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Thank you, see response under thirdeye. I am goig to do as suggested and see if I can get this done in an hour and a half.[p]They are at 162° or so right now.[p]Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thirdeye & Celtic Wolf,[p]Guys, a huge thanks. I did as suggested and it took another 1 3/4 hours to get to 197°[p]I didn't have enought time for a long rest but the bark stayed the same as when I foiled. A good amount of juice.[p]The pull was good and I used the juices to pour back over the pork before serving. [p]Great taste, moist and very well received. I had several different sauces available, but no one put any on their sandwhiches.[p]I am very glad I did that final push at 350°. Total cook time just under 7 hours. 2 pork roasts just under 7# and one 1 butt at 4# all indirect on the V rack with a drip pan. I used the V rack as I wanted them higher in the dome - only gained a couple of inches. I kept the meat appart with wood kabob skewers.[p]Thanks to the both of you, much appreciated. Kent
  • stike
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    ...and stike can go and eff himself,i guess.[p]hahahaha[p]ah well. welcome aboard anyway!

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    stike,[p]No not at all, sorry if you are offended.[p]You told me at 155° I would have to slice, which I knew. [p]My original question (help needed) was to know if from 155° is there something I could do to within an hour and a half to get the meat to the upper pull temps needed without ruining the meat.[p]Celtic Wolf & Thirdeye said to foil and crank the heat up to get to the pull temps needed.[p]I tried those suggestions and it worked great, much better than I was expecting, and I did not need to slice or chop.[p]Never intended to offend anyone. Thank you for the post.[p]Kent
  • stike
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    nah. not offended.[p]no worries.[p]