Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Delayed comments about EGGtober Fest 2001

Options
Just-RuthandJim
Just-RuthandJim Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Jim and I really enjoyed the EGGtoberFest!! Even though we are very new to egging, we were welcomed so warmly by the forum family that we immediately felt right at home and we intend to participate in cooking fests as often as possible. Thanks to the generousity of the BGE store in Atlanta we even have a mini-egg that can possibly travel with us. We spent almost a week comming back to Williamsburg from Atlanta since we indulged in a passion (older than egging with us) for aviation by attending a symposium in Raleigh NC. The Fest gave us the stamina to indulge in three days of talks and lectures...that was obviously a major bonus![p]As I promised to some people at the EGGtoberFest, here is the web site where one can obtain Irish peat to try using for BBQ. We tasted potatoes cooked over this peat at a Scotish Festival and the flavor was interesting. The company is called Sneaky Peat and the web site is www.sneakypeat.com[p]I also promised to again discuss the marinate I use for turkey. This is just a general recipe since it is always slightly different depending on what I have on hand at the time. I always put garlic (quite a bit), a jalapeno (or 2 depending on the size of the turkey and/or the jalapenos), and fresh ginger in the food processor and chop them quite finely. I then put approximately 1/2 cup of soy sauce and several dashes of liquid smoke in the mixture. This is the seasoning. I then thin this mixture with some liquid...sake (if I have it), wine that is a little less than good for drinking, or even root beer laced with balsamic vinegar, sweet marin, or rice vinegar. My marinate does not have much acid in it so I can marinate the turkey for several days by putting it in a jumbo ziptop plastic bag and packing it in ice. I then often use the marinate in a pan (or can) inside the smoker to flavor the bird. [p]Thank you again for welcoming us newbies so warmly...we are going to initiate our new mini tonight with a steak.[p]

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Just-RuthandJim, thanks for sharing the recipe and the info about peat. I've never heard of that. Wanda and I really enjoyed talking with both of you and are certainly hoping we can get together again in the future. I also hope we can do what you guys do after we retire. :)
    Good luck with the mini, I haven't tried mine yet, but hope to soon.
    Best to you.
    ChefRD (and Wanda)

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    ChefRD, [p]You got your wife to go? What a great thing!! Bring her north for turkey. [p]I'm still in Vermont, where it's snowing, but have an I·dee-er (as they say up here) for a winner at the upcoming turkey competition. And I have two days in the car to plan it... When I finally get home I hope that there is a great meal on the egg. I rescued Poor Smokey Joe from a tag sale this morning. (I believe that that is what they call "garage Sales" here when then is no garage. Or did MARTHA maake that up?)[p]We be gobblin' soon, Mon! JCA

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    J Appledog, Yeah, she volunteered to go rather than to see me not get to go. We both had a great time and I think she was surprised at the warm reception we received from all the "strangers" ;). I'm not sure if she will come to the turkey thing, since she may be in Chicago sat., but if not, i expect her to be there.
    I don't plan on cooking sat., just eating. :)
    ChefRD