Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? about high burn for cleaning egg

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning Folks!
I was just reading some posts about a high burn for cleaning the egg... which I'd like to so so that I can try some breads. The main question is about the platesetter. The "pizza side" is fairly clean, but the "drip pan" side is a bit messy. If I do a 750 degree burn, and want to clean the platesetter, should I do this legs up or down? In other words in a pizza set up or indirect set up? I'm thinking legs down like pizza so that the hottest part is facing the charcoal/flame. Also, how long should I let burn and how often should I check for gasket melt?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    I haven't "fire-cleaned" my plate setter or pizza stone since I got them and I cook bread, biscuits and pizza all the time on them. Just a slightly damp wipe down of the pizza stone before I use it again is enough.[p]Spring "Bread In The Hole" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    GirlyEgg,[p]Probably won't matter much since the temps will be high everywhere in the Egg.
  • Bozzy
    Bozzy Posts: 27
    Options
    GirlyEgg,[p]I did a 650 burn after my last brisket and beans. The brisket was 225-250 for 13 hours. The beans were 350 for an hour. I removed the daisy wheel and opened the bottom up and let it get to 650 before I backed the bottom down. I held for about 20 minutes.[p]That burns up all the crap on the plate setter but it's still there as a carbon deposit which can be easily cleaned with a grill brush or metal spatula.[p]I wrapped the plate setter with foil for this brisket. I have yet to use a drip pan because I just don't know what it would buy me unless I wanted the drippings for something (chicken drippings are damn good on rice, but you can just feel the heart groaning).[p]boz.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    GirlyEgg,[p]The way a self cleaning oven works is to keep the temp at 600 deg for several hours...[p]You can do the same in the egg...you can run it up higher if you want to have it done sooner....[p]What I do is clean out the ashes in the egg then put about lump to fill about 1/4 of the firebox..then I start and hold it at 700 till it burns out..[p]This will burn off all the oil and crud in the egg..