Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1.5 Hour Baby Backs

Options
carpetman
carpetman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did not have much time to slow smoke my ribs tonight so I tried a new recipe (to me). Took the ribs and slathers with yellow mustard and coated with dizzy pig and sea salt & garlic. Put them on at 350 degrees.
1.5HourRibs.jpg
Let cook on bone side for 30 minutes and flipped for 30 minutes. I sauced each side for 15 minutes each.
IMG_0214.jpg
They turned out Good! - not great. Great texture and flavor, but a little burnt for me - I think I will use a platesetter next time cause the Dizzy Pig seems to burn.
IMG_0215.jpg
What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Carpetman,
    Dizzy Pig didn't burn them you did.
    Mike

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Carpetman,[p]I had to do ribs quickly last week but after an hour indirect at 325+ I chose to foil them (with apple cider vinegar and honey) for 30 minutes and then another half hour raised grill direct to firm them up again (with bbq sauce.) My wife really liked them - more than the 3-1-1 approach.
  • Just Plain Mike
    Options
    Carpetman,[p]Got to agree, the dizzy pig didn't burn. My wife prefers that ribs are cooked this way too. Must be a wife thing! I prefer them slow cooked and smoked flavored. My bet is that the sugar in the sauce is what burned. I'd hold off and sauce both sides just before you take them off. I'd also mist them during the cook with a mixture of water, cider vinegar and juice to help keep them from burning and turn them more often to help with that too.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Car Wash Mike ,
    dassum funny sh!t.[p]"i microwaved my ribs for 45 minutes. dizzy pig rub and salt. they were too salty, and the dizzy pig was mushy. thoughts?"[p]i dunno. seems to be a lot of folks lately trying to find shortcuts then blaming the meat.
    who posted that poem the other day? "i didn't have sugar so i substituted salt. ... etc"?[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    stike,
    I didn't have potatoes, so I substituted rice.
    I didn't have paprika, so I used another spice.
    I didn't have tomato sauce, I used tomato paste;
    A whole can, not a half can - I don't believe in waste.
    A friend gave me the recipe; she said you couldn't beat it.
    There must be something wrong with her, I couldn't even eat it![p]Mike

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Carpetman,
    I cook them fast every now and then. I don't believe you have to cook them a long time and make them fall off the bone to be good. They can be firm, not chewy and still be good.

• Car Wash Mike,
    man just can't tolerate change......