Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Pot Roast – A Real Red Eye Surprise

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday morning, I put a pot roast in my slow cooker before I went to work. When I got home and looked in the cooker I saw a beautiful sight, perfectly roasted meat, carrots, potatoes and onions swimming in about a half inch of grease. Then I thought back to the night before when I was preparing the meat.[p]When I had defrosted the meat, I was actually surprised to see very nice marbling and deposits of fat dispersed through out the meat. I really didn’t think much about and simply covered both sides with a generous coating of DP Red Eye Surprise. I just put the meat on a plate and put it in the fridge so that I had every think ready to go in the AM.[p]When I saw the amount of grease that had rendered out during the day long cook, I began to wonder if they had actually give me a Prime Rib Roast and mislabeled it as a chuck roast. It was beyond a doubt one of the most tender and most flavorful Pot Roast that I have had.[p]Has anyone else ever had this happen.
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]It's my next experiment...Chuck Roast. What temp did you use...240 or so?
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]Oh You must mean you cooked it in a crock pot, maybe?[p]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    Yes, I had to use electric for a few reasons. My crock pot is actually a small Rival Roaster Oven (10qt?). I cooked the Pot Roast at 250 from about 8AM until 6PM when I got home. My wife kept an eye on the liquid level throughout the day. The nice thing about the small roaster oven is the Temperature control. Since I learned to cook by temperature on the BGE, I had to know what temp I was cooking at. Most true Crock Pots have just a high and low setting. That seemed rather gassy to me.[p]On many occasions I would put this meal in a cast iron Dutch oven and put it on the BGE on an upturned plate setter at the same temp for the same amount of time.[p]Hope that helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p][p]

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Yes, thanks. One of my very favorite meals is her pot roast. She always uses a crock pot to cook it too, but I'm anxious to try it on the Egg, in my new cast iron pot. It's amazing to me how such of tough piece of meat like a chuck roast can be so tender and flavorful when it's slow cooked. Ofcourse if they sell me a prime rib roast by mistake, it won't hurt my feelings either. [p]